AK Retiree Club

You ever notice that the financial planners and stock analysts almost never, ever, recommend selling any stock? Buy and hold, buy more to balance out the loss from the latest correction. And buy when it's at its all time high. All kinds of garbage calculations on where a certain stock is going.

Just pay attention to the product and see how it's selling/working. And when a stock is up, don't be afraid to sell, might cost you a lot of money if you wait for more.

You’re not alone on both counts. 3 joint replacements and lumbar fusion. Tinnitus in the left ear. This is my fight song. I know it’s a cover, but with respect to the Stones, they were just pups when they did it. Now Gatemouth on the other hand has the mileage and makes it real.
Maybe that can be the AK retirees' theme song, it fits

Got home from lunch with my fellow retirees and this was waiting for me in the mailbox.
20190116_135012.jpg
Radiohead~A Moon Shaped Pool
Throughly depressing music and I Like It!

Last edited:
You ever notice that the financial planners and stock analysts almost never, ever, recommend selling any stock? Buy and hold, buy more to balance out the loss from the latest correction. And buy when it's at its all time high. All kinds of garbage calculations on where a certain stock is going.

Just pay attention to the product and see how it's selling/working. And when a stock is up, don't be afraid to sell, might cost you a lot of money if you wait for more.
I have never gone near individual stocks. As Warren Buffet has proven, holding low cost index funds will beat stock traders, quite badly, over the long term.

Last edited:
Maybe that can be the AK retirees' theme song, it fits
Cool with me Parman. Maybe we can get an admin to make it play anytime we're in the thread just like old My Space did. I was "fighting' it" yesterday. Did my 10 mile ride to the beach yesterday in-between downpours. 12mph 3/4 headwinds in my grill all the way down. Nice push going home though.

Cool with me Parman. Maybe we can get an admin to make it play anytime we're in the thread just like old My Space did. I was "fighting' it" yesterday. Did my 10 mile ride to the beach yesterday in-between downpours. 12mph 3/4 headwinds in my grill all the way down. Nice push going home though.
Good for you for gettin' out, 13 mph head wind is no pick nick ! At least it sounds like the rain missed you. I really, really hate riding in the rain. Maybe a little sprinkle is OK but when my shoes and socks get soaked and squish on every down stroke I'm miserable!

I bought in to John Bogle right away. I still have Index 500 funds that had been renamed from the original name, which I forget. My Vanguard investments have made it so I have a comfortable retirement.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Boglehead all the way, will have no worries in retirement. Thank you, Jack Bogle. RIP.

I approached financial planning in pretty much the same way that I approach everything else in life: Get a bunch of books on the topic (including Bogle's) and teach myself. I've been successful, although I cannot rule out luck and the benefits of an engineering background. And a raised-in-poverty wife who prefers to save instead of spend! Lately, my primary source for financial advice is Morningstar. I have a subscription to their premium service, which is a perk offered by T Rowe Price if you keep enough assets there, but Morningstar offers a ton of educational material without charge to anyone. Highly recommended, and I have no affiliation.

A 1994 investment in a Bogle stock index fund(SP500) showed a 16 year negligible(minus inflation) return and not until the markets, two crashes later, were bailed out in 2009 and propped up with successive quantitative easing, zero interest rates(zirp) and a huge corporate tax break did long term investors see their accounts swell today.
Forty years of lower and lower interest rates were tantamount to higher stock and bond fund prices.
Luck and patience indeed:thumbsup:

A 1994 investment in a Bogle stock index fund(SP500) showed a 16 year negligible(minus inflation) return and not until the markets, two crashes later, were bailed out in 2009 and propped up with successive quantitative easing, zero interest rates(zirp) and a huge corporate tax break did long term investors see their accounts swell today.
Forty years of lower and lower interest rates were tantamount to higher stock and bond fund prices.
Luck and patience indeed:thumbsup:

Right. It all depends on when you start and what period you choose to look at. The great recession in 2008 wrecked the '00s. I started retirement saving in 1979, so '94 on is irrelevant to me. It's a long term investment. My sons are in their early 30s, and owning the S&P 500 or a broader index is where they should be.

http://www.multpl.com/inflation-adjusted-s-p-500

http://www.simplestockinvesting.com/SP500-historical-real-total-returns.htm (see attached screenshot)

s&p after inflation.png

Actually, it looks like the average annual return on the S&P 500, adjusted for inflation, from 1/1/1994 to 12/31/2018, was 6.65%, or 8.68% if you had reinvested dividends, which retirement savers usually do. That's even with the great recession dragging the returns down.

https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/

Well how about the last quarter, I see I lost 10% in the 4th quarter. Guess I start looking for a job monday :rflmao:

Well how about the last quarter, I see I lost 10% in the 4th quarter. Guess I start looking for a job monday :rflmao:

Stocks are a long term investment. You shouldn't put any money into stocks that you might need within the next five years.

I have owned the same home since 1982. If I would have had it appraised every six months over those 37 years, I'm sure its value would have gone up and down over that span, but today it's worth a lot more than when I bought it. It's the same concept with stocks.

Always interesting here at my house. Yesterday, I took a nap while my wife was out. Shortly after I awoke, she came roaring into the bedroom and said that she wanted a divorce. She said I didn't understand women. Boy, she is right on that one. :idea: :no: :crazy: She has been to the hospital recently for mentally related symptoms. I said OK. She continued to hang around the bedroom as if I was going to react, which I didn't.

Sleep was spare last night and included aural hallucinations. I kept hearing spooky music that apparently was not there. Another swell day at KingBubba's house. :dunno:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom