AK Retiree Club

I don't know about up in the great white north but Michigan is probably about a month away from spring, IF it's an early one ;)
It varies in these parts. Three years ago I was golfing in early March, the last couple of years the course didn't open til late April. I was hoping for a March start this year because we've had a real mild winter until the last 2 weeks here.

Well, looks like it’s time to join this exclusive club!
In 10 days I turn 63 - yesterday I found out I no longer have a job. The company has agreed to pay 6 months severence plus a significant “bonus” which essentially gives me a total of 12 months pay. They also will supply insurance for 12 months. This takes me to 64 without touching my 401K or Social Security.

Once the shock subsided I am actually feeling pretty good about this forced early retirement. A little scared about the financial side of things but on the surface it looks like we should be OK.

Looking forward to reading through this thread!

In 10 days I turn 63 - yesterday I found out I no longer have a job. The company has agreed to pay 6 months severence plus a significant “bonus” which essentially gives me a total of 12 months pay. They also will supply insurance for 12 months. This takes me to 64 without touching my 401K or Social Security.

Once the shock subsided I am actually feeling pretty good about this forced early retirement. A little scared about the financial side of things but on the surface it looks like we should be OK.

That is a shocker for sure, but it sounds like you are getting your mind around it pretty well. I enjoy everyday of retirement. Hope you do too!

Geek life, lol. Pacing around the house, 5K steps so far. Alexa says there should be a break in the downpour in about an hour. Hope so, would love to finish the 10K outdoors! 30 years left on the old ticker, assuming I keep walking. Meanwhile, back to “work” on the Chromebox...

D41E05F6-BBB2-4190-BDBA-343F967B6145.jpeg

Hey parman - think on the positive side - you don't have to shovel rain.

Here in MN we are at the 4th largest snow accumulation for Feb for MN and we have two weeks left.

Was this totally unexpected? On Monday everything was cool and Tuesday you were given the pink slip? DAMN

Hey parman - think on the positive side - you don't have to shovel rain.

Here in MN we are at the 4th largest snow accumulation for Feb for MN and we have two weeks left.
Yah nothing like setting those snowiest month ever or coldest daytime high ever type records.
Just remember, the groundhog saw his shadow!!!

Yep, pretty much a complete surprise. I would have liked to work for 2 more years. But reading through this thread I kinda like what I am reading about retirement.
I just turned 58, so I have a few years before I can retire, but I do like to hang out in this thread and be vicariously retired with all these folks...

So here is a question - how many of you kept your family home versus downsizing or moving somewhere different? If you did move - why?

I don’t need to decide yet but my wife and I (and our labradoodle dog) live in a very large victorian (3,500 sq ft+ with a large carriage house on 2 acres).

So here is a question - how many of you kept your family home versus downsizing or moving somewhere different? If you did move - why?

I don’t need to decide yet but my wife and I (and our labradoodle dog) live in a very large victorian (3,500 sq ft+ with a large carriage house on 2 acres).

For me it’s a question of timing and lifestyle. I enjoy what I have now, but not sure I want this much property to keep up with at 80. Part of it comes to resources as well. If you have a big place and the money to pay someone to keep it maintained, you can just stay there if you want and put in an elevator if you need one.

So...sitting here listening to a solo piano station on Spotify premium. Nice cup of coffee and surfing the 'net for a bit before I get started. Got the tractor bodywork tore apart so I could remove the fuel tank. I thought I had a stick in there getting in the pickup but it didn't come out so.....I still need to find out the cause for the intermittent acting like it's running out of fuel. Gonna swap both filters, again, and go ahead and service it while it's in the garage. That's gonna pretty much take the day. Since I've run 13 miles in the past 3 days not gonna run today but I have a load of laundry in the washer and dishes to wash.

And it highlights one reason why I will stay right here. Our property values are going up at a steady rate and have been for a few years now what with the yankees moving this way and all. But it's paid for and it keeps me busy when I think I have nothing to do:) It's peaceful and quiet and what neighbors I do have are family.

Happy Valentines Day ya'll!!!

So...sitting here listening to a solo piano station on Spotify premium. Nice cup of coffee and surfing the 'net for a bit before I get started. Got the tractor bodywork tore apart so I could remove the fuel tank. I thought I had a stick in there getting in the pickup but it didn't come out so.....I still need to find out the cause for the intermittent acting like it's running out of fuel. Gonna swap both filters, again, and go ahead and service it while it's in the garage. That's gonna pretty much take the day. Since I've run 13 miles in the past 3 days not gonna run today but I have a load of laundry in the washer and dishes to wash.

And it highlights one reason why I will stay right here. Our property values are going up at a steady rate and have been for a few years now what with the yankees moving this way and all. But it's paid for and it keeps me busy when I think I have nothing to do:) It's peaceful and quiet and what neighbors I do have are family.

Happy Valentines Day ya'll!!!

SC is a beautiful state with friendly people. Sounds like you have a good setup!

SC is a beautiful state with friendly people. Sounds like you have a good setup!
Agree!
One reason to stay here is my wife and I are both collectors (wife loves mid-century and I love anything audio) - so we have a lot of stuff and a lot of projects to work on - no question we will have to start selling in a big way if we decide to move.

My wife live in a fairly large house and our homeowner insurance was getting way out of hand. I called my insurance agent who I have been with for over 30 years and told him that I was going to look into other insurance companies. He told me to come and see him first. So I went in and the first thing he tells me was that I was at the top of his list to call for their new program - same coverage. mmmmm - In the end he knocked $2300/year off my insurance with the same coverage. And then he knocked $850/year off my car insurance.

mmmm - Now I am Really torn between ripping him a new one and accepting it. I just sat there and stared at him.

In the end I accepted it.

The lesson of this story is to listen when people say shop for insurance every 3 years. Which I stupidly did not do.

After living in the S.F. Bay Area/California for 41 years, I moved into our old, small family home on Maui. It's been empty for nearly a year.
I'm an artist and for me, art is a way of life. I'll keep creating, painting, taking photos and exploring till I die.

Time doesn't wait. Sunsets from out back, a month apart. Summer is on the way.
January 11, 2019
_CMY5985_Sunset 1-11-2019sm.jpg

February 12, 2019
_CMY6953_Sunset 2-12-2019-sm.jpg

Last edited:
how many of you kept your family home versus downsizing or moving somewhere different? If you did move - why?
I retired 21 months ago. Wife and I have been in same house since 1975 (which I built new) We are on a quite large plot by urban standards. A lot of trees, shrubs, lawn to care for.
So, we have just begun process of dividing off about a third of it. We will build a small cottage on that, when finished and we move in we will sell the original.
In 1974 we paid $2,200 for the land. The surveyor and real estate person say that we could sell the portion we are dividing off for $310,000, which we won't do
The old house cost me $13,000 to build and has now been valued at $650,000.
I don't let anyone tell me that income keeps up with land and property value.

Back
Top Bottom