AK Retiree Club

I would say that was a wise investment! For the most part I think real estate is a solid investment - though I have a friend who bought a house in New Jersey at the peak (2002) and he is still upside down!

I would say that was a wise investment!
It was going price at the time.I was only 3 years married.
What would have been wise would have been to raise extra money and buy the section next door which was a mirror image and also vacant.
But not many of us think that way.

Man I can't believe how many of you have these big $ houses, I guess it's the area where you live. My neighborhoods houses just creep up slowly, real slowly. They dropped a ton during the recession but now they're back to where the were, probably up a little.
It's not in the hood either, sort of a semi rural area. Cheap taxes and it's been paid for, for years. It's cheap living and leaves money for fun.
100x200 yard, when I can't take care of it anymore I'll sell it and move to a senior housing apartment I guess.
You have to be realistic and know when to pull the trigger. My Dad should have moved 10 years ago but he's still telling himself he's got it covered

Best Coffee - hmm. A few months back I read a story about Tom Petty’s search for the perfect cup of coffee before he died. Apparently he was a big coffee drinker - Starbucks, custom roasts etc. Story goes he was having lunch at a diner and found the coffee to be very good - almost perfect for him. He asked the owner how he made this cup of coffee - Maxwell House in a Bunn coffee maker! Later he finds even a better cup at another spot - again Maxwell house but this time the owner levelled every measure of ground coffee with a knife edge to get the perfect amount of ground coffee for every pot. Apparently, Tom always had his Maxwell House coffee at the ready.

I’ve been drinking Maxwell House ever since I read this story easily cutting my coffee bill by 2/3’s (we were buying locally roasted beans). Tom was right it’s not bad at all.

Best Coffee - hmm. A few months back I read a story about Tom Petty’s search for the perfect cup of coffee before he died. Apparently he was a big coffee drinker - Starbucks, custom roasts etc. Story goes he was having lunch at a diner and found the coffee to be very good - almost perfect for him. He asked the owner how he made this cup of coffee - Maxwell House in a Bunn coffee maker! Later he finds even a better cup at another spot - again Maxwell house but this time the owner levelled every measure of ground coffee with a knife edge to get the perfect amount of ground coffee for every pot. Apparently, Tom always had his Maxwell House coffee at the ready.

I’ve been drinking Maxwell House ever since I read this story easily cutting my coffee bill by 2/3’s (we were buying locally roasted beans). Tom was right it’s not bad at all.
Mississippi John Hurt also loved his Maxwell House coffee.

View attachment 1420559
It is the best coffee in Key West, not too many coffee drinkers on Duval St. yesterday though!
Do they really roast on the premises? That’s generally a real good sign. For a given $3.50 cup if they roast there’s the potential for better beans in your cup instead of handling and profit for another link in the chain. They are generally really into it and committed. A good 10 kilo roaster runs about $25k plus another $20k for exhaust scrubber, installation and AQMD permitting.

@elcoholic
Yes I think they do . There was a outdoor coffee bar and next to it was the building where they roasted and sold bags of beans.
20190214_145651.jpg
Man that Con Leche was a hell of a cup of coffee, smooth and rich.
This morning on Marathon I bicycled to Havana Jack's coffee shack and had a Americano, it was fantastic also.
Are you a coffee roster elco??

@elcoholic
Yes I think they do . There was a outdoor coffee bar and next to it was the building where they roasted and sold bags of beans.
View attachment 1421055
Man that Con Leche was a hell of a cup of coffee, smooth and rich.
This morning on Marathon I bicycled to Havana Jack's coffee shack and had a Americano, it was fantastic also.
Are you a coffee roster elco??
Yessir parman. Nothing too fancy, but I've been at it for a few years now. This week I reaffirmed for me why. Got clobbered by a flu this week. I wasn't up to roasting so I bought a bag of some Peet's blend. It cost nearly double what I pay for green single origin beans I buy from the guy who buys it from the farmer and my coffee does not suck..

Last edited:
Was stationed at Mare Island for training back in the ‘80s. Loved the proximity to Berkeley. What was the great old movie theater on the main drag? Saw many a great classic movie there, including Abel Gance’s Napoleon.
I saw the restored version of Napoleon at the Paramount Theater on Broadway in Oakland and would bet that's where you saw it, too. The Paramount is a fully restored Art Deco theater. We've also seen Jeff Beck and Leonard Cohen concerts there -- amazing venue.

For the past couple of months I've been helping out in my wife's first-grade classroom, mainly helping the students with writing projects. They're a lot of fun and I enjoy helping them sound out how to spell words and giving them suggestions on how to start an assignment. I was a writer and editor for 35+ years and I enjoy seeing the kids get into writing. Even some of the kids who could barely spell the basic words at the start of the year are now turning out pages of interesting writing. Their spelling is a work in progress, but their ideas are great. One assignment was to write a "teaching book" and one girl write 6 or so pages, walking the reader through how to wash dishes. On Tuesday, they wrote restaurant reviews! But what really made my day yesterday was when my wife brought home a Valentine one student addressed to both of us. I'm in!

I saw the restored version of Napoleon at the Paramount Theater on Broadway in Oakland and would bet that's where you saw it, too. The Paramount is a fully restored Art Deco theater. We've also seen Jeff Beck and Leonard Cohen concerts there -- amazing venue.
May have been. Nearly 40 years ago...

Yessir parman. Nothing too fancy, but I've been at it for a few years now. This week I reaffirmed for me why. Got clobbered by a flu this week. I wasn't up to roasting so I bought a bag of some Peet's blend. It cost nearly double what I pay for green single origin beans I buy from the guy who buys it from the farmer and my coffee does not suck..
Maybe I drop in for a coffee one day ! LOL

May have been. Nearly 40 years ago...

Perhaps the United Artists Theater on San Pablo Ave? I have remember taking my girlfriend to a Rocky and Bullwinkle, plus George of the Jungle extravaganza.

Kinda of surprised she actually married me, now that I think about it.

download.jpg

Last edited:
I have remember taking my girlfriend to a Rocky and Bullwinkle,
It's fitting that you went to a Rocky and Bullwinkle show in Berkeley as the creator, Jay Ward, lived in Berkeley, where he was a real estate agent. Bullwinkle the Moose was named after the Bullwinkle Motors car lot just down the road from the UA theater on Shattuck. It turns out that Ward also created George of the Jungle (had to look that up).

Francis Ford Coppola funded a massive restoration of Abel Gance's Napoleon film and it played in Oakland in 1980 -- the restored version was 4 hours long, had an unusual triptych format in parts and featured a new score by Carmine Coppola and played by a live orchestra. The staging required a huge screen and orchestra pit, so only the old style venues could accommodate showings.

I need to get back down there to Golden Gate Fields. Great way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon, small bets on the ponies, and taking photos. Great view of SF from the men's room, too, lol.

I need to get back down there to Golden Gate Fields. Great way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon, small bets on the ponies, and taking photos. Great view of SF from the men's room, too, lol.
Most Sundays are Dollar Days, with $1 General Parking, $1 General Admission, $1 Programs, $1 Hot Dogs, $1 Beers, and $1 Mimosas. The more you drink, the more you can enjoy that view!

Not quite there yet, but tomorrow is the day I hit 65. So - I just registered for Medicare Part A.
I'm still working and covered by a group plan at work via AETNA, so I won't need part B for a year or so (if things go well).
My wife is younger, and she's on my group plan via work - so I want to keep that as long as possible.

Bought our house in 2000 - refied a couple times so we're down below 3% interest. Payoff is 12/27
but I'd hope to get out from the payments by 2021, so I'm paying additional principal when I can. $102k to go.

FWIW, I already did our taxes for 2018 - a federal payment due, and a good state refund (good charitable donations),
and - between the 2, we are only $120 in the hole ... just waiting for that to settle out before month's end.

So - out for a good meal after work tomorrow - maybe a marguarita and such ...
Then, possible snow and slush Weds!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom