AK Speaker Favorites

My .02 based upon limited experience

AR 4X....would love to hear more of these early models
Genesis Model 1+
EPI 100's
ADS L series
Large Advents.....I really like the 002 series as well

BTW I have never heard any of the early KLH models, so that and the AR's are my newest quest....God has spoken to me :yes:

i've been through a lot recently... but the ones i've kept and continually enjoy are:

KEF Cadenza's (2 way with ABR unit, rewired with silver based wire)
these have the lovely KEF tweeter used in the LS3/5a BBC monitor...

IMF TLS80's (bit old and painted a horrible colour but i've never heard anything else like them!)

Any of the Apogee line, I'm in the vast right-wing minority here :)

DQ 10's

Dayton Wright XG8's

Martin Logan's (the Sequel's)

BW 800's

Gales

OK, there being little further response since last night, our list now looks like this:

HPM100
AR9
Vandersteen 2c*
Dahlquist DQ10
Altec xx
JBL L100
ADS L Series
Magneplanar MGII
Infinity Kappa/RS
Large Advents
Klipsch xx
DCM Timewindows xx
Dynaco A25
Polk Monitor 10
Yamaha NS-1000M

Unless we get a lot of responses to narrow down models, I propose to do the poll looking like this (note the changes, and that there will be no "other" category):

HPM100
AR9
Vandersteen 2c*
Dahlquist DQ10
JBL L100
Magneplanar MGII
Infinity RS
Large Advents
Dynaco A25
Yamaha NS-1000M

Admins - Please Take A Look?

Almost forgot! The poll will be entitled:

"Which AK Favorite Speaker Do You Most Respect?"

Everyone should note that this is all informal nonsense. The thread, and the poll, do NOT represent anything official, and the "winners" absolutely do NOT have any kind of endorsement from AK.

Before I try the poll, would the admins let me know if it's ok?

I like mine best. Otherwise id buy more :)

grumpy said:
I like mine best. Otherwise id buy more :)

I'll take that as the blessing of the admins, unless I read otherwise. Hmmm... Grumpy is becoming as terse as 'toze!

I am surprised that ALtecs aren't in the list with several casting a vote for them. Mine happen to be Model 17's. I think the list of vintage speakers that could equal or beat them would be a very small list indeed. But if this is more of a popularity contest of what speakers the most members own, I doubt these big Altecs are owned by the masses as they are kind of scarce. They are shockingly good speakers. Anyway, my vote is ALtec 604's.

I'll add my vote to the:

JBL 100's
A/D/S L series
EPI 100's
Altec Duplex

And add:

Ohm Walsh 2's (or 4's)

Uriah

I'm liking the list, but I do think Boston Acoustics should be on it somewhere. And listing just the AR9 vs. "ARxx" seems too limiting.

Currently I have:

JBL L77
Large Advent
AR-3a
BA A70

On my want list are the DQ-10 and something large and Klipsch. Both those have WAF issues, but the next house will have a listening room where I can rotate equipment as I choose. No, really...

I own, really enjoy and talk a lot about:

EPI 100 (and all the inverted-dome-tweeter EPI and Genesis Physics designs)

Polk RTA-12 (and other Polk Monitor series with the original Peerless tweeter, so Monitor 5, 7, 10, etc)

Original Large Advents

Dbx Soundfield SF-1500, the best speakers I've ever owned. That I found them at a SA for $20 makes them sound even sweeter.

joelll said:
I own, really enjoy and talk a lot about:

EPI 100 (and all the inverted-dome-tweeter EPI and Genesis Physics designs)

Polk RTA-12 (and other Polk Monitor series with the original Peerless tweeter, so Monitor 5, 7, 10, etc)

Original Large Advents

Glad to hear the Genesis mentioned with EPI's......I love my Genesis I's :yes:

Should we switch the EPI-100 for the Dynaco A25? My impression is that I see equal amounts of praise for both.

Negotiableterms said:
Should we switch the EPI-100 for the Dynaco A25? My impression is that I see equal amounts of praise for both.

I vote we remove the Infinity RS and put in either of the above mentioned.

Much more praise and mention here, That and I don't want the prices to go up on the Infinities any more than they currently are so I can horde a few more :D

All I want to know is who the blonde in your avatar is, and how can the image be made bigger?

Speakers... what speakers?

Back
Top Bottom