AK Speaker Favorites

My list (in no order):

Klipsch La Scala
Klipsch Cornwall
AR-3a
Bozak 302a
New Large Advent 5012/w
Magnepan MG-1c

Those are the top ones, and I have owned about 50 pair of speakers of all sorts in the past two years. These (with the exception of the MGs and Advents) are the ones I kept.

They all sound different, I think the "popularity" of one oner the other is mass appeal, some hype. The AR-3a is supposed, by many, to be "the one", and I have to say it is an excellent speaker.

Dynaco A25, Advent Loudspeaker, EPI 100 are some classic speaks that everyone should at least try. Tons were built.

Damn I cringe every time someone mentions the EPI 100's as classics. When I was young I bought a pair and blew the tweeters numerous times and a woofer once too. Had them (EPI) send me tweeters until I finally butchered them with Rat shack components...:yikes: Bob

My list (in no order):

Klipsch La Scala
Klipsch Cornwall
AR-3a
Bozak 302a
New Large Advent 5012/w
Magnepan MG-1c

Those are the top ones, and I have owned about 50 pair of speakers of all sorts in the past two years. These (with the exception of the MGs and Advents) are the ones I kept.

They all sound different, I think the "popularity" of one oner the other is mass appeal, some hype. The AR-3a is supposed, by many, to be "the one", and I have to say it is an excellent speaker.
I once had a pair if Bozak Concert Grands on loan for evaluation against the L200. Nice speaker bur not very dynamic

I once had a pair if Bozak Concert Grands on loan for evaluation against the L200. Nice speaker bur not very dynamic

I agree that the Bozaks are not very dynamic, but with the music of the era (mine are from 1959) they sound fantastic.

My favorites so far are Infinity RSIIIb, or RSII if I have the room to set them up.

With good amps they do everything I want. EMITS provide a nice top end and the dual woofers provide plenty of tight bass you can feel, and the mid-range is all there in spades.

Now if I can find an RSIIa/b with bass contour module...

Honorable mention. Every time I listen to my original model Klipsch Heresy I'm surprised how good a small speaker sitting on the floor, and tilted back, can sound.

OHM Walsh 2xos
Speaker lab first gen super sevens (heresy on steroids) room filling, any room. Huge presence.
Polk SDA 2Bs. Like no other!
Klipsch epic 1st yr. (Any model)
Klipsch corners. I so miss mine..sigh..
Speaker I listen to most for all music. Ohms
They just never cease to be 1st choice among friends.

So many decent speakers and so many ears growing in an out of them all around here.....impossible to say what’s best! What is possible though is using the most popular ones around here to start well.....ain’t like anything really matters if you are learning your ears, gear, and music. Plus....decent and respected is easy to sell.

Easily heard quality in these “favorites” for me (and not one is an end all/be all) because I do like many sound families:
ADS- A cush detailed sound that is still forward and full.
HPM 100/JBL L100 type monitors- Revealing, forward sound that spits out instrumentals with little apology. (I use EQ a bit with these during late night listening.) Will always own these because of what they are and mean to the history and production of rock and roll.
KLH/AR Large Bookshelves- Well thought out balance of sound and it’s easy to hear why they are better than much of their competition. Safe but full sound.

My list is short, I have more refined, newer etc but? Those three make me smile and cover my core “common man” listening. (I like that guy!)

Back
Top Bottom