akai 1710w-part II

ampegdan

Hi all-
okay, I took the front off the machine, unstuck the stop lever, cleaned everything with alcohol and q-tip and....it works! I mean, it sounds kinda cheesy through the built-in speakers but the sucker really works! Now I have
a couple more questions if you all don't mind;
1.There's a little pin sticking out over the head cover-doesn't seem to be in the tape path necessarily although it is in the same general plane. It has some kind of bent clip mounted to it. Any idea what it is?
2. I'm missing a reel retainer-the rubber boot over the hub-and the reel wants to gradually slide off. Any ideas on where to get replacements? I put a piece of fuel line hose over it for now but that's kinda cheeseball, y'know? Some I've seen have built-in locks on them but not this guy.
3. Since this thing apparently has its own amp, is it safe to just plug it into the tape/aux inputs on my receiver like any other component? If so, where should I have the volume set?
Thanks in advance and please pardon my ignorance
Dan

Outputs

There should be a set of outputs on the side or back that come from the pre-amp. Plug them into the Receiver.....

yes, thank you. I know where the outputs are and where to plug them in. My concern was overloading the receiver's own preamp with the already amplified signal from the RTR; hence the question about the volume setting on the RTR when doing so.
Dan

Outputs

Sorry I wasn't clearer..... The pre-amp outputs are OK, just dont plug 1/4 " phono jacks into the speaker outs and then into the Aux input of the amp. The pre-amps will balance out, no problem.....The speaker out's will overload and cause hum

Ah, I gotcha. Sorry for being thin-skinned. I'll try it out later this evening. I think I've figured out that the "mystery pin" is a guide for rewinding so as not to drag the tape over the heads at 1,000,000 mph. Duh. Thanks for your help
Dan

Back
Top Bottom