Akai 1710W Tubes on, NO power light, nothing won't run?

JoeRush

Cleaned deck this morning, played tapes, recorded, etc., everything fine. Went out to get some RCA cables. When I came back I turned the deck on and got nothing but lighted tubes. Now I have NO VU lights, power light, play, FF, or reverse. I read something on the net about Akai switches sometimes cause the deck not to power up so I cleaned them again, no results. What the Heck????????

More information.

While the tubes are lit, only thing working; I can here a slight hum through the speakers with volume on full.

More Information.

Checked all the caps and resistors and everything looks the same as it did earlier.

Okay, I did do something before I went for the cables. The tape speed high low switch broke and I had to super glue the little handle back on? Could glue have seeped in and caused a problem somehow???

Wow. That super glue has something to do with the problem. I use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner on the switch and I got it to function but ONLY at low speed. Also, the lamp still will not light. Is it okay to pour some fingernail cleaner down it the switch to break up the glue?????????

Always willing to provide enjoyment where ever I go :beerchug:

OKAY, I get this thing to work sporadically but the continuing issue is it keeps shuts down on rewind; this I'll take for granted is an issue with the super glued switch, I knew I should not have done that. I'm going to pour some of my wife's nail polish remove in the switch to cut the glue if that does not work I have another 1710W and I'll put that switch in. The PROBLEM I am still having is the lamp will NOT light. Heading over to a schematic to see what the heck the issue is.

WELL! The lamp is powered by the 6.3v that goes to the tube filaments. SO, the lamp blew out, NO WAY!!!!! What are the odds?

I guess the odds are pretty good. Bulb BURNED OUT!!!!! 8 Volt 25 Amp, IS THAT RIGHT? The schematic or service manual say nothing but that is what is stamped on the bulb base; that's what it looks like anyway.

0.25a is more likely. The 8v is to make it last longer and not be quite so bright. A 25a lamp would be a 200w bulb, no way it uses that for a VU meter.

That is what I figured, I just could not see it clearly. WELL, ANYWAY. "He break it, then he fix it", Mr. Fix it strikes again. Well, I just changed the switch; I will try to clear the glue out some other day. I screwed things up enough for one day.

Okay, Anybody know where to get these bulbs? It looks like a BA15S base. I am finding some that come close but no cigar.

Well, got the broken switch to work. Soaked in nail polish remover for about three hours then denatured alcohol for about two hours; works great.

Auto Bulb, will this work? 4 watt/7volts translates to .57amps. What I have now is a 8 volt 2.5 amp bulb, which translates to 20 watts. The auto bulb draws much less current (.57 amps) so that is not a problem; but it will be only 1/4 as bright. The bulb needs 6.3 volts so 7 (Akai bulb is 8 volts) will be okay. Bulbs include GE 12321 or Philips 63B2. Both bulbs are BA15S bases, same as Akai bulb.

Back
Top Bottom