Akai 4000ds MK II

Well, $50 for a nice reel deck IS pocket change! : ) The 4000DS and its variants must be the Chevys of reel decks. I'd go for it! Just be sure to check it out for functionality before buying.

You could sure find out a lot about recording from having that machine. Right on the money, a Chevvie. Like Garrard says, just make sure it works, otherwise offer half of that and go get the belts on the 'net. They are pretty reliable.

I have a 4000DS MK2, works great. need a pinch roller though, had a similar problem with mine, working only on 1 channel, found out is one one of my RCA chords, would have never guessed that one. LOL

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I haven't had a chance to try cleaning yet, but I will do so as soon as I can. I'll also try to pick up another tape to test, so I can rule that one out for certain. It's definitely not the RCA cable, as the VU meter isn't moving and I tried multiple cables.

I think I'm getting some minimal sound out of it, but it just sounds unamped, and is weak enough that the VU meter gets no visible movement except in erratic cases such as those described in my previous post. I don't have cleaning solution, and I was thinking of using rubbing alcohol. I'll run a search here to see what people typically use.

Thanks again, I'll update as soon as I can.

I just cleaned the play head with 90% isopropyl alcohol, to no avail.

I flipped the stereo switch around a few times, and mechanically, it feels to be in good shape (not in need of tightening). However, when I flip back and forth between stereo and other modes, the right channel gets an audible kick of static scratchiness and the VU meter jumps. It also gets a much quicker pulse (but not as static-sounding) when I power up the deck.

Switching between tape and source does not cause the static noise/VU jump.

The right channel is getting minimal output, but I have to put my ear near the speaker to hear it. The right VU meter is slightly bobbing, but doesn't even touch the -20 line.

Sound like a contact issue with the stereo switch? If so, which deoxit should I use to clean it?

This is a disappointing problem, but at least it'll give me a better chance to familiarize myself with the deck. If I can't fix it, I'll just buy music in mono or switch speaker balance 90% to the right or something ;). Thanks for the help!

Just thought I'd check back to see if anyone has any thoughts on this. I'd be very grateful for any help!

I didn't see where you tried another tape? Ths is assuming you have NOT tried making your own new recording.

Hi, I've only tried one pre-recorded stereo tape-- I guess I'm reluctant to buy another because the one I have looks to be in good condition and I'm not chomping at the bit to put more money into this until I know I can fix the playback issue.

I haven't tried recording, but would obtain a blank tape and give it a shot, if you think it will help me figure out the problem with playback. Do you? Thanks for your help!

Hi, I've only tried one pre-recorded stereo tape-- I guess I'm reluctant to buy another because the one I have looks to be in good condition and I'm not chomping at the bit to put more money into this until I know I can fix the playback issue.

I haven't tried recording, but would obtain a blank tape and give it a shot, if you think it will help me figure out the problem with playback. Do you? Thanks for your help!

Well, it may be that there's nothing wrong with the machine, only with that tape... Get a roll of tape (new!) and a take-up reel and have at it.

Hm, okay, so tried another tape and it's still a no-go. Crap. Anyone have any clue what I can try to do to get that channel up? I'll try anything. :)

Sorry to hear that. I still haven't gotten around to investigating the problem, but I'll have some free time this weekend to (attempt to) open up the deck and have a look around. I'll post again if anything interesting turns up.

Controls on 4000SD

I have a 4000SD. I'm unclear on the controls, or rather, on the use of the pause control.
When I shift the machine to forward does it matter where the pause/play switch is? In other words, when I press forward, SHOULD it be paused, or is pause just as it's name implies?

When it's set to play, engaging pause stops it temporarily(Also recording). Pull up slighly on the pause knob while dis-engaging.

I just bought a 4000DS MkII sounds great question as I am very new to reel to reel it says it is a 7 inch machine will it take 7.5 inch reels ?

7.5 is the speed of the tape, 7" is the reel size. Very nice basic machine that 4000DS MkII is, a good reliable basic three head recorder.

7.5 is the speed of the tape, 7" is the reel size. Very nice basic machine that 4000DS MkII is, a good reliable basic three head recorder.
thanks I bought the tape new sealed from the 70's but the seller said it was 7.5 inch so I am thinking he was talking about speed

Head block difference in MK II
I purchased a 4000ds MKII in good condition other than the left input pot is flaky. It ether supplies no signal or pins the VU meter. I just cleaned it (deoxit faderlube) as well as all the switches including the famous SW9 record/playback one. The other issue is its missing the erase head. I purchased a 4000db head assembly and I notice that the 4000ds and db use the same head block, p/n BH480363 but the MKII uses p/n BH624385. There are no round 4 pin connectors but instead a rectangular white connector and the other wires are soldered directly to the PC board. Can I interchange these head assemblies and just solder / swap connectors (cut/splice together) or should I just scavenge the erase head into the original MKII head assembly?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom