Akai A-2300 RTR

rlwagoner

Dazed and Confused
Hey gang, I was given a Akai A-2300 RTR. Didn't have a power cord, but I found one online. Looks to be in GREAT shape. Powers up. However, I know nothing about RTR's. Appears to have some sort of "tension arm" on the lower right? I have to manually hold it up to make anything work. Also, had a old reel on it, finally got it to play, and was Beatles "Abbey Road". Then I tried to rewind it and when it stopped, it snapped. Help! I need service in the greater Cincinnati area (or the Lexington, KY) because I have a box of reels too, and I'm dying to hear what's on them! Any info and/or advice would be appreciated.

It sounds like you may have a box of brittle old acetate based tape. Unfortunately this stuff does not age particularly well. To play tape like that, you may need a deck that will handle the tape much more gently than your Akai. I could be wrong, but I don't think that "fixing" your Akai is going to make much difference in this regard. Many of the older machines simply tend to be rather hard on tapes.

But the good news is that you tape can be spliced quite easily.

If it's an A-2300 it's a TEAC.

Congratulations..... Check out how you load the tape..... the tension arms, left and right should prevent the snapping..... open the case and clean and lube the mechanism....

Do have a service manual ? Can you use a screwdriver ? ( Basic Mechanical Apptitude ? )

Joe

You'll need to adjust the brake tension.The 2 reels should stop the tape smoothly without strecthing or snaping the tape. In your case, one reel is stopping before the other. Bad brake tension = damaged tapes.
And yes, an A-2300 would be a Teac deck.

Ron

Last edited:
You are correct, the deck is a Teac-A-2300. I apologize. I have a couple of older Akai cassette decks, got confused......:)

These are great decks

rlwagoner said:
You are correct, the deck is a Teac-A-2300. I apologize. I have a couple of older Akai cassette decks, got confused......:)

Ran one as my daily player. Sold her with a Fisher 500 to cover the cost of a new pr of Ski Boots. The 2300 makes great sounding tapes. Missed her and got an older 1230. I use NOS BASF 1800' tapes and they have stould the test of time :yes: Nice and quiet running. Three motors and they treat tapes well.

Good luck with it. A keeper! Eric

Test R2R Before Making Adjustments

If you are new to R2R, it may be best to test more functiions and other tapes before starting making adjustments. Make notes of results so further help can get specific to each separate problem. Note each side separately, they have separate criteria and adjustments.

Tape path, reel tables, tension rollers, auto stop arms, pinch rollers need to be freely moving at least. Proper cleaning and oiling can be done when you are more knowledgable, which will not take long.

Often the ends of old tapes are brittle, that may be your only problem. Put your valuable Abbey Road aside. Get a newer, strong tape onto the machine, hopefully blank to avoid messing up a tape with value. If necessary, on a blank tape, cut off any old ends of the tape until you get to strong tape.

Fast Forward for awhile, half the tape, go quickly to stop. Does it stop promptly without tape getting loose on either reel?
Hold the reel and pull back on the tape on the take up reel, see if it is packed snugly, not loose where it slips back. Not excessively tight onto the reel, compared to some pre-recorded ones that you may have acquired.

Fast forward all the way to the end, where the weight of all the tape is on the take up reel, stop, any difference? How is it when it comes off and is spinning and whipping the end of the tape. Does your machine have auto stop? Is it turned on? How does the take up reel stop? No real problem?

Repeat, using rewind direction.

Next, does your machine go directly from FFWD to REW? If so, get it going and try it. In both directions.

Next, try everything at normal speeds.

If lucky, most will be generally ok, which means you need to learn how to splice leaders onto the ends of tapes.

Until you learn that, valuable tapes, like Abbey Road, can be wound back at play speed, avoiding stress.

All tapes should be stored at normal play speeds, not at ffwd or rew speed. You can also stop trying to ffwd to favorite songs until you know all is well.

Regards, Elliott Newcomb

I would get the service manual so you can see what we are talking about its the only way you can follow what we tell you to look for. Let us know.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom