Akai AA-1050 Receiver

erik92da

Bought this one knowing nothing about it, but upon lifting it at the thrift store, I realized it might be a decent unit. Couldnt see the insides through the case, but it powered up, the relay clicked, and it locked stations in.

I havent seen any definitive specs, but it seems that it is around 50 wpc.

The scary thing is, that it sounds as good as anything else I have. Sounds nearly identical to my Kenwood KA-8100 (and my old KA-9100), and better than my SX-980. Can't believe it actually. Tuner is pretty nice too.

Build quality is top notch inside, has a large heat sink for the power supply transistors, something I have only seen on my NAD 3080. The knobs are thin and the faceplate is clearly a Yamaha ripoff.

Was this Akai's TOTL for this series? Is the 50 wpc rating correct?

My friend (who I recently got into the audio hobby) bought one of these recently. It's a damn fine receiver rated at 50 wpc and loaded with some nice options like dual pot tone controls, adjustable FM Mutting (not that common of an feature from what I've seen) and a real wood veneer case to name a few. Definitely a nice find. :thmbsp:

and for those wondering this is the AA-1050
3083985153_cf07a05541_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SFP
Build quality is top notch inside, has a large heat sink for the power supply transistors, something I have only seen on my NAD 3080.

Most higher end gear does, it's just a smart idea

Was this Akai's TOTL for this series? Is the 50 wpc rating correct?

As I stated before the 50 wpc is correct and while this probably was not their TOTL offering it's definitely up there as either the third if not second from the throne.

Weird! I just bought one of these at the local GW and was searching for any information I could find and here is this tread. This tuner is a replacement for my Pioneer SX-650 that just can not seem to drive my McIntosh XR-14's. I have been looking for a budget upgrade tuner for about a month and when I saw this sitting on the shelf at GW I thought it might just fit the bill. After hooking up the Akai, My speakers are finally showing what they can do. I real like this amp and form the looks of it it was build well and with high quality parts. The flat knobs are held on with set screws a nice touch. The pots were a bit scratchy but after a cleaning with deoxit they are now nice and quiet. Other than a quick cleaning thats all I have had to do. It's now hooked up and has been running with no issues for that past four days. I consider it a good buy and a very good amp.

Last edited:
The only other amp/receiver I have seen the power SUPPLY transistors mounted to a large, common heatsink is my NAD 3080. I am not referring to the output transistors.

I understood your statement, my 9090DB is set up that way the power caps and the output transistors share a giant heat sink.

1) FWIW, everyone has it backwards - Yamaha ripped off Akai for the 'whiteout silver' look. Really, Akai had it first (circa 1973).

2) The AA-1050 was the top of Akai's AA-10xx line at the time (circa 1973). In the next generation series that followed (AA-11xx, 1976) it was third from the top; the next up AA-1175 weighed in at 75Wrms/ch, and the AA-1200 crowned that line at 100Wrms/ch and sported dual trannies.

3) Beautiful example there...congrats. Akai's really tend to fly under the radar and are severely under-appreciated.

2) The AA-1050 was the top of Akai's AA-10xx line at the time (circa 1973). In the next generation series that followed (AA-11xx, 1976) it was third from the top; the next up AA-1175 weighed in at 75Wrms/ch, and the AA-1200 crowned that line at 100Wrms/ch and sported dual trannies.

The AA-1175 has dual transformers, and four filter caps as well. Got me one! :yes:

1) FWIW, everyone has it backwards - Yamaha ripped off Akai for the 'whiteout silver' look. Really, Akai had it first (circa 1973).

3) Beautiful example there...congrats. Akai's really tend to fly under the radar and are severely under-appreciated.

Thanks for the extra info, my friend will be very interested to hear that he got a TOTL receiver for $100.

The AA-1175 has dual transformers, and four filter caps as well. Got me one!

me too..scored a couple of weeks ago...in practically mint cosmetic condition..
took some serious elbow grease and several hours to reveal this though...

will post a pic soon as i put the thing back together..

no sign of the accountants in this receiver...:D

Any one have any idea what these receivers sold for in the 1970's?

Is there any way to tell the date of manufacture form the serial number?

Just wondering if this information is out there (I did look but could not find any thing) or does it need to be
researched / collected.

I picked up the AA-1030 last year, and it is about as good sounding and looking receiver as I have ever owned, and I have been through a few. The tuner leaves a little to be desired, but I suppose if I paid a pro to tune my tuna it would rock too. I tried to do some research and it was few and far between on these puppies. Seems to me I found the manual for the 1050 I will try and dig it out and see. It was the variable FM mute that sold me on it when I found it. Of course that big price tag on the top almost put me off it. $4.99 if I recall correctly. It now resides on my back porch (Enclosed of course) feeding a pair of Baby Advent II's and sometimes a set of Bose 301-II Both foamed and tweaked. And one of the few places I use an Ipod.
I wish I had something to measure the power output of this thing, I would swear it is much much more than 30wpc.

Open Akai AA-1050

I had my receiver open for a good cleaning and took some photos. Here they are.

Attachments

• Akai guts1.jpg
    Akai guts1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 568
  • Akai guts3.jpg
    Akai guts3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 551
  • Akai guts4.jpg
    Akai guts4.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 540
Back
Top Bottom