akai am-2950 integrated amplifier

radioactive

tube gear fanatic
Subscriber
just picked up one of these last weekend and thought i'd share it with everyone.they seem to be a rare beast espcially the black faced version.the amp features a 5 band tone control circuit,cartridge loading switch on the back,different levels of muting ,plus some features not found on amps since the late 50's such as stereo reverse and hi-low filter selection.the amp itself is rated @120w/ch.the only thing wrong with this one is a burned out bulb for the meters and i might change that over to a green led to match the color of my sansui ba 3000 meters.i've been listening to it for a week now and it seems to be a bit on the bright side to my ears compared to my technics su8600 .i bought this with intentions of flipping it but being a integrated amp lover as well as rare gear i think i'll be keeping it.theres is only one problem i'm going to have and that is finding the matching totl at 2650 tuner in black:sigh:

anyways here are some qucik pictures i took today ,and before any one comments yes the inside is a bit dusty.:yes:

Attachments

• akai am 2950 front [].JPG
    akai am 2950 front [].JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 371
  • akai am 2950 back [].JPG
    akai am 2950 back [].JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 249
  • akai am 2950 side [].jpg
    akai am 2950 side [].jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 300
  • akai am-2950 top shot [].jpg
    akai am-2950 top shot [].jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 316
Wow, that thing looks like a high-current beast! But it still looks like a home audio amp rather than a pro audio offering (I that a big, toroidal transformer??). Nice find. Looks very-well-made. Probably a great amp for the Yamaha crowd (Are you saying it's brighter than your Sansui?).

My 2000x has reverse-stereo and low and high-filter buttons. Actually they're extremely-helpful, particularly the low-filter.

Last edited:
gangtwanger, i was saying its brighter than my technics su8600.

brocluno, thanks for the comment.

That's a great find! I recently brought an AM-2800 (silver) back to life, and I'm enjoying the daylights out of it. Mine has some of the same features, such as different muting levels, -15dB and -30dB. This is REALLY useful for me, as if I want to listen at low levels (like right now), I switch in -15dB, then I have very precise control over low-level volume. Yours has two extra tone controls, one extra set of speaker outputs, and pre-in/out jacks. That's what I miss in mine--the ability to separate the preamp and power amp. I may decide to put mine under the knife and add those jacks, as it can be done pretty easily.

My amp seems very well-built, and well engineered. I can only imagine yours is as well! It should make a VERY good performer for you.

theres one feature that the 2800 has that the 2950 doesnt have the meter switch to select the power that shows when playing .since my listening is usally below 1 watt the needles barely move and having the ability to do this would of been nice.i guess they crammed enough into the 2950 that they felt it wasnt needed:sigh:

Tube sound; Excellent score!
Listening to a friends 2950 coupled with a pair of altec lansing 9 (ii)s woke me up to the realization that I had to upgrade my own system components.
Some serious muscle with that amp! And great looks too! (Not to overlook sublime sound).

Thanks orsen, ra and dcreek for the likes. Hey dcreek, we're neighbors. When I got back into audio 10 years ago, my first integrated was a very nice, thrift shop found AM-2800. Long gone and now happy to have found this. You don't see them everyday.

Tube sound; Excellent score!
Listening to a friends 2950 coupled with a pair of altec lansing 9 (ii)s woke me up to the realization that I had to upgrade my own system components.
I had mine hooked up to a pair of altec 19's at one point in time. :biggrin:
Some serious muscle with that amp! And great looks too! (Not to overlook sublime sound).

Thanks orsen, ra and dcreek for the likes. Hey dcreek, we're neighbors. When I got back into audio 10 years ago, my first integrated was a very nice, thrift shop found AM-2800. Long gone and now happy to have found this. You don't see them everyday.
Now get the matching tuner. :p. I usually work backwards and land up buying a tuner first and if I like it I search out the matching amps or integrateds to go with the tuner. I love my matched gear and that's how I did things back when I first started my foray into audio gear and collecting. Sadly though I no longer have all the gear I use to have as I had to thin the heard but still have enough to last me a lifetime. I I can find a picture of my basement from years ago I'll post it. In the meantime enjoy that akai. :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom