Akai AM-73... info anyone??

aedaza

Hi guys,

I have an Akai AM-73 integrated amp. It is part of some sort of Reference Master series... It sounds really good!

Anyone of you guys have any info about it? Research has shown little...

Currently using a Yamaha YP-D71, Stanton 500AL cart and a couple of Energy C-300 speakers.. Will upgrade to a Shure V15 Vx with SAS stylus.

Best,

Alex

Very nice! :thmbsp:

All I can help with is I have service manuals for those if you want a copy... (.pdf)

All I know is that is supposed to be excellent gear, and far more common in Europe than the US. You're lucky to have it!

If it is half as good as the AM-2850 that I have, then it's a keeper. Some of Akai's stuff was very good, they have a bigger following in Europe.

Hi there,

Yes, I have one in fact I am listening to it right now! What a coinsidence. Anyway I have the whole reference system. The integrated amp AM-93 Reference Master, The GX-95 tape deck and the AT 93 tunner. These are all in mint condition bought from the original owner with original packaging, boxes, and manuals!

The CD playes is very heavy and sounds very nice. The tape deck is the best I have ever heard or owned period. The tunner is quite a machine as well. Oh the tape deck has a remote which is rare and cool. I do have the original remote for the CD player as well.

I have had this system for a year or so and I think it is great. All pieces around $4K
in 1989. I believe this system was bought and brought from Germany.

I don't think I will sell this system unless someone makes me a reasonalble offer.:thmbsp:

Hi there,

Yes, I have one in fact I am listening to it right now! What a coinsidence. Anyway I have the whole reference system. The integrated amp AM-93 Reference Master, The GX-95 tape deck and the AT 93 tunner. These are all in mint condition bought from the original owner with original packaging, boxes, and manuals!

The CD playes is very heavy and sounds very nice. The tape deck is the best I have ever heard or owned period. The tunner is quite a machine as well. Oh the tape deck has a remote which is rare and cool. I do have the original remote for the CD player as well.

I have had this system for a year or so and I think it is great. All pieces around $4K
in 1989. I believe this system was bought and brought from Germany.

I don't think I will sell this system unless someone makes me a reasonalble offer.:thmbsp:

It seems I got a good deal on them! I have the tuner (AT93) and the amp (AM73) also!

Just to know.. Do you use on the amp the Direct Operation on Source or on Off? And do you have a fan on your amp? Mine gets hot!

The AM 73 is the one below AM 93. The AM 93 has a toroidal transformer and sounds good in direct and other modes. (120W per ch.) If yours get really hot then you may need to adjust the bias current and DC offset. You would need the service manual or a schematic to know where the test points and the potentiomeeteres to know where to adjust. I have not done anything to mine, seems to run fine. Very beautifully built gear. From a distance it tooks like BPC or black plastic crap, but is actually all aluminum and heavy. Hard to find the whole set unless you get it from the original owner who bought the whole set.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
The AM 73 is the one below AM 93. The AM 93 has a toroidal transformer and sounds good in direct and other modes. (120W per ch.) If yours get really hot then you may need to adjust the bias current and DC offset. You would need the service manual or a schematic to know where the test points and the potentiomeeteres to know where to adjust. I have not done anything to mine, seems to run fine. Very beautifully built gear. From a distance it tooks like BPC or black plastic crap, but is actually all aluminum and heavy. Hard to find the whole set unless you get it from the original owner who bought the whole set.

Enjoy!

Mmmh.. Any idea where I can get the service manual or the schematic??

That would be a difficult quest, I think. I don't have any service manuals or schematics, just the specs and sales brochures.

Good luck.

That would be a difficult quest, I think. I don't have any service manuals or schematics, just the specs and sales brochures.

Good luck.

Well I did it!

Thanks to an AK mate (Mike! :thmbsp:) I got the service manual for the AM-73 and I did the Idling Current Adjustment (DC voltmeter at 30mv) for both channels as it said and a Off-Set Adjustmentof Phono Amplifier for each channel (DC voltmeter at 0v)

I did both things and now the amp runs much cooler, but to be honest, I dont know in tech language what I did nor what are the side effects.. Could someone help me on this?

Thanks everyone,

Alex

Back
Top Bottom