Akai GX-230D Tape Question

ranf1970

Life without music would be a mistake.
Hey Tape AKers,

I'm looking for tape to use with this R2R. I've read on this forum that RMGI has good quality tape. Would these work on my player? Would the SM-911 (1/4" 1200') or LPR 35 (1/4" 1800') be the better bet? I'm leaning toward the LPR. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance! :music:

good little machine!
this probably wont help you much but on my gx-230d and gx-630d-ss, i use (old) maxell ud 35-90 which i bought years ago.
it has a good reputation re sticky shed, etc, and can be found on that 'bay place.

the rmgi 1200' length would be a little easier (not much) on the machine and the 1800' length would give you longer recording times.
i'd go with the 1800' as i think it accomodates album lengths better.

at the end of the day tho, i'd try to get some maxell off the 'bay.

Last edited:
Thanks jayk! However, I've read the debate about old tape and sound quality. I woory about spending the money on used or NOS Maxells and then getting screwed as far as sound is concerned. Any thoughts?

only that i made a tape about 2 weeks ago to send to a friend. it was an old, used maxell tape.
when done recording i played it back on both the 230d and the 630dss (for a quality check); it sounded great!

get a reel or two of each and make your own decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom