Akai Gx 255

Tube Radio

Akai GX 255 reel to reel

I just bought an AKAI GX 255 this weekend. It works great with only one issue. When you play the tape in reverse the right channel will drop out after about a minute or two. What could be the problem? Is this reel to reel only supposed to record in one direction? Also I would like to know if there is any maintenance I need to do to the reel to reel to keep it working properly. Also I would like to know of any known issues with this reel to reel. I have a service manual and operators manual on the way.

On a side note would it be possible to mount a GX playback head in place of the playback/record head on an AKAI M8/Roberts 770X which is setup for playback only(not intending to pull the head from my AKAI GX 255)?

Most of the four head 200s have a relay that switches the heads when in reverse play They do suffer with age and need to be cleaned. takes a bit of fiddling to get the plastic cover off tho! clean the contacts with the finest of glasspaper, cleaner sprays dont last that long.
Tried a GX head in an M8 once didn't match impedence wise! I was told that I needed a matching transformer?? I gave up and put in a little worn head from a breaker. Its truely supprising the quality of the output! imo. as good as most of the low end gx units, just a bit more noise.

Back
Top Bottom