1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

AKAI GX 365 Recording Issues

Discussion in 'Tape' started by hsbhachu3d, Feb 13, 2018.

1. hsbhachu3d

hsbhachu3d New Member

I got this deck, however just checked, everything works mechanically and plays perfectly fine, the playback levels are also perfect but the recording is off

Perfectly adjusted levels to +1DB when monitoring source and recording on brand new tape comes out faint and roughed up lacking low end on both channels. you can turn the volume level all the way max to get to a level you can hear it.

I do have the service manual but it is not much help on where to get started from.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. oldvinyldude

oldvinyldude AK Subscriber Subscriber

Clean the source/monitor switch thoroughly. Re clean the recording head-rub firmly with IPA in the direction of tape travel. After that, it is above my knowledge and troubleshooting skills. (Minimally :)) educated guess is bad components in the BIAS oscillator circuit.

3. CDFixer

CDFixer Number 1 USC Trojan Fan

I have been working on one of these units, I also have a parts unit my issue was a cracked bias oscillator card. In fact both bias oscillator cards h the orig and one in parts unit had a crack in exactly the same place. Fixed card corrected th problem.

JH Magnecord likes this.
  4. JH Magnecord

JH Magnecord Member

Oscillator card/components on that board (the bias trim pots get very oxidized, pair of 2sc971 transistors might fail, 47uf cap dried out?) definitely points to the symptoms as you describe.