Akai GX-4000D questions

lennono84

Hi again all,
I own an Akai GX4000D reel-to reel, and love it, but I've got a couple of questions that I'm stumped on.....

Recently, I found a picture (of myself listening to my Dad's GX4000D when I was one year old....... he sold that deck, and years later I hunted one down on eBay because I liked it so much... anyway...) and in the pic, his GX4000D has one of the mic/din level knobs is black... mine isn't, it's silver. I also noticed that the part where one puts on the reels say "akai", and mine just have a triangular-looking pattern on them. Was there some kind of change(s) made to this deck during it's production??? I've even seen a pic of a GX4000D that had the face of the deck in a charcoal-black! Any info???

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill. :)

There was 3 different models made, one silver with brown wood-panels, brown metal-top. Some with built in voltage-selector had black metal-top.
All had silver-knobs, so the deck with black mic-knob probably was replaced.

A second one was GX-4000 DB with built in dolby, both were made in silver or black.

Third one was the black GX-4000 D and GX-4000 DB, little harder to find in US, as most of these were sold to the european market.
Sidepanels were black, faceplate knobs, VU-meters etc.
I have both models and really like the performance. :thmbsp:

Here is the black GX-4000 D:
13A.jpg

And silver GX-4000 D:
A57

Hope this helps. :)

Forgot, you mentioned "where one puts on the reels say "akai", and mine just have a triangular-looking pattern "
Do you mean the rubber reel-table or take-up reel ? :scratch2:

Thanks a million TX, it's much appreciated! The part I was refering to is the reel tables.

BTW, my GX-4000D is the silver with brown side panels, brown "fake wood (metal)" top plate. No voltage selector. I must admit, I haven't really had much experience with listening to other RTR decks (other than the Lafayette I first owned that could heat the house while getting worse-sounding as it was used) so I don't know the absolute best-sounding deck out there. To my ears though, my Akai is phenominal! :)

Thanks again!

You welcome. :)
About the reel-tables, never seen any with Akai logo.
I like this model, very dependable and good sounding machine.
Beat many other more expensive units so you picked a nice one. :thmbsp:

Enjoy !

No, Teac was heavier duty, 3 motors, more reliable. The Akai is not junk, but single motor, has idlers and pot metal to deal with in the control linkages. In good order, a nice machine. Tip! Do not leave the pinch roller engaged without power on and tape in motion, leaves flat spots on pinch rollers (necessitating a rebuild with new rubber). In good order, did perform fine, and sounded nice.

Back
Top Bottom