Akai GX 400D SS ... Help

Akai Dave

Hello,
I bought an Akai GX 400d ss not too long ago. The unit was missing a knob, and right tension lever arm. I replaced the tension arm with the closest Akai reel match I could find, and it sounded great for some time. The issue I have now is that when I turn on the unit, I get tons of static through the right channel/speaker. The left channel works just fine. Seems like I need to replace the Capacitors and clean it internally. Any ideas as to what the problem may be?
Thanks in advance for any input and help,
Dave.

Attachments

• 0495394B-BF60-476C-91E0-865FAD3217A2.jpeg
    0495394B-BF60-476C-91E0-865FAD3217A2.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Try cleaning the right channel volume/recording control real good turning it many many times as it sounds like it could be very dirty:)

Thank you ! I will try anything. I know at this point, I need to do a full cleaning and lube service etc.

Looks like those decks have the 2SC458's in them as well, could be the reason for static, clean controls and switches first then if nothing else, replace all those transistors (C458's)

Thank you everyone~ ! Any way to clean hard rubber pinch rollers with normal household cleaning items/? linseed oil?

Also I bought wd40 electronic contact cleaner. Will this work ? I hear deoxit can be bad and leave a white residue.

Looks like those decks have the 2SC458's in them as well, could be the reason for static, clean controls and switches first then if nothing else, replace all those transistors (C458's)

This should be it. I have a 4000 DS that had the same symptoms that was solved be replacing the 2SC458s with KSC1845s.

Thank you everyone~ ! Any way to clean hard rubber pinch rollers with normal household cleaning items/? linseed oil?
Please don't get linseed oil anywhere near your pinch rollers :yikes: The roller has to be able to generate friction in order to pull the tape through and the thought of tape with linseed oil residue on it is even scarier. "Household cleaners" is broad enough to include a number of things that could create problems. Start with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom