Akai Gx-f90 info/opinions

Groove-man

Hello, I have just purchased an Akai Gx-f90 tape deck, I am whating for it to ship. I got it for a decent price In my mind. Its missing the cassette door cover. Would the door from any similar models fit it? Does anyone know the size of the original door? I doubt I'll find a replacement so I'll most likely make a door out of plexiglass. Any other info or tips on this model would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, I have just purchased an Akai Gx-f90 tape deck, I am whating for it to ship. I got it for a decent price In my mind. Its missing the cassette door cover. Would the door from any similar models fit it? Does anyone know the size of the original door? I doubt I'll find a replacement so I'll most likely make a door out of plexiglass. Any other info or tips on this model would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!

I seriously considered jumping on that one. I really like the back lit buttons on the Akai decks around that time. Honestly wish that would reappear in modern gear.

One of the top dog Akai cassette decks ever made. I own/am in the middle of working on a GX-F80 (the next model down from the F90). You're going to really enjoy that deck.

This will be my first tape deck. I can't wait to receive it. its supposed to be in good shape, though I'll probably be replacing belts.

One of the top dog Akai cassette decks ever made. I own/am in the middle of working on a GX-F80 (the next model down from the F90). You're going to really enjoy that deck.

The GX-F80 is high on my want list. I really like that it used the same large back lit buttons the Akai GX-255 reel to reel and its big brothers in that line used. It's an odd want but I really like the design visual direction they took. Plus the gx heads are a big want for me.

The GX-F80 is high on my want list. I really like that it used the same large back lit buttons the Akai GX-255 reel to reel and its big brothers in that line used. It's an odd want but I really like the design visual direction they took. Plus the gx heads are a big want for me.
One thing for sure - Akai certainly made some fine looking (and performing) gear back then.

My AA-R30 is what set me off on a vintage gear/Akai buying binge...

Where can I find information about length of this belt?
I've gotten belt kits for my GX-F80 and GXC-740D from vintage-electronics.net. They have the tape counter belts for the GX-F90.

I don't work for them - just a happy customer spreading the word, lol.

Update: It arrived in one piece and is working well. Now to fabricate a door for it.... and I must say, boy she's pretty.

Attachments

• 15458875384615977389094778391953.jpg
    15458875384615977389094778391953.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 39
I finished making the door, it came out great. I used plexiglass that I cut to 4-11/16in x 3-7/16in. I spray painted a black border on the back and affixed it to the frame using self adhesive velcro. Thanks again everyone for your input.

Attachments

• 20181229_170723.jpg
    20181229_170723.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom