Akai GX-F90 just picked one up!!!!

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Tdi434, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Tdi434

Tdi434 New Member

Just picked up this akai gx-f90 it's in pretty good shape. I have not tested it yet keeping my fingers crossed it works. If you guys have any insight on this deck let me know. 20180908_205530.jpg

I LIKE MUSIC and Yodathedog like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Rey1

Rey1 Well-Known Member

I have one. It's an awesome deck. If it runs and then stops, the rubber on the pinch roller has hardened. Rub a little 220 grit on the roller as it turns and the problem should go away

3. Tdi434

Tdi434 New Member

Thanks for the advice!!

4. Nightcleaner

Nightcleaner Active Member

nice one: Hi:

I had two of these these are lovely machines too By Aiwa AD-F800

[​IMG]

This one for sale on eBay for £110

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  5. Taketheflame

Taketheflame New Member

Very nice score!

I just picked up a GXC-740D myself. These old Akai decks are excellent.

I'm only now hearing what a good cassette deck can do (I was growing up during the time digital was taking over/CD sales peaking, and was never around high end tape gear) and am starting to think that any negative reputation that cassettes might have is more the fault of cheap playback gear than the format itself.

6. oldvinyldude

oldvinyldude AK Subscriber Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Taketheflame

Taketheflame New Member

From the research/homework I've done thus far, it sounds like the cost of good equipment back then was a major obstacle to getting the most out of cassettes, unless one had rather deep pockets.

Some high end mid/late 70's era stuff I've been able to find original MSRPs on suggest that they could run well up to $2-3k in today's money when adjusted for inflation. We had an old Sayno rack setup growing up - it had some type of dual deck and a receiver w/a 5-band graphic EQ.