Akai GX280D-SS Tape Tension Arms

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Randy Moore, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Randy Moore

Randy Moore New Member

I have an AKAI GX280D-SS that I have a question about. The tension arm for the take up reel moves very freely, but the one for the supply reel while still movable has like a damping movement when you pull it back and release it. My question is are they both supposed to have the same type of free movement or is this abnormal? Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dhnash

dhnash Active Member

Hi Randy and welcome to the forum. If you haven’t already done so, you may want to download the instruction/owners manual and service manual for this deck from HiFi Engine (https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/gx-280d-ss.shtml) which you can do for free after registering which is also free. There is a mechanical assembly drawing in the service manual that shows the two tension arms. Both arms have return springs that cause them to move to their rest positions when tape is not threaded. The tension arm on the take-up (right) side also actuates a microswitch that shuts down the transport system when tape is not threaded or runs out. The motion of this tension arm may be damped in order to prevent shutdown of the transport when the tape first starts moving in play, fast forward or rewind modes. This damping is not required for the other tension arm since it does not actuate a microswitch. In some cases this damping action is provided by applying a high viscosity silicone oil between the tension arm and the shaft it fits on.