Akai GX4000D question

DanBa

I just got one of these, and it's a beautiful machine. The sound and build quality are top notch, typical for Akai machines. I got the deck today, brought it home, cleaned it inside and out, and have been using it all night. My question is, do these units normally make a "motor" noise? It is hard to describe, i guess the best way to say it is it's like an electric motor turning. You can't hear it in the music, just out of the chassis of the machine. the belt looked and felt good and snug, and the unit looks to have low hours, and is clean as a whistle. I will post some pics this weekend:music:Thanks in advance for any and all responses-Dan

I just got one of these, and it's a beautiful machine. The sound and build quality are top notch, typical for Akai machines. I got the deck today, brought it home, cleaned it inside and out, and have been using it all night. My question is, do these units normally make a "motor" noise? It is hard to describe, i guess the best way to say it is it's like an electric motor turning. You can't hear it in the music, just out of the chassis of the machine. the belt looked and felt good and snug, and the unit looks to have low hours, and is clean as a whistle. I will post some pics this weekend:music:Thanks in advance for any and all responses-Dan

These decks do make some noise & the noise comes from the take-up reel assembly, which relies on friction to function. I'm wondering if this is the noise you are hearing!

Attachments

• S6000288.JPG
    S6000288.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 54
  • S6000296.JPG
    S6000296.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 56
I just got one of these too. Found a shop that hand made me Walnut solid wood side boards and found Operating Manual and a service manual....hope I don't need it.

Mine seems quiet during recording with head phones on. My late dad had a Revox I am trying to learn how to use. I have not messed with reel recorders for 30 years.

All the idler gear shafts. The motor CAN be lubed(Mine anyway), by a plate in the back of it, but there's lots of small parts to drop, so use care. The capstan has a small hole under it, 2 drops here. Sewing machine oil, or gun oil. DO NOT get it on the rubber parts.Be conservative. Also, the pinch roller shaft.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the unit I'm working on.
DSC_3064.jpg
It looks like it was used very little, and the noise it makes is not bad enough to tear it down at this point, although the lubrication advice is a +++, and I am going to look it over again this afternoon. Anybody ever seen a dust cover for one of these? I hunted a photo down on the web, but don't see any for sale. The next RTR I am going to look for is a GX77
GX-77-03.jpg
Or the ultra rare black model...
GX-77-01.jpg

Attachments

• A_nuce_shot_perspex_ezr.jpg
    A_nuce_shot_perspex_ezr.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Well, I got bored and decided to go back into it, so I removed the top, bottom, back and face. I can see why these "friction" drive units are a bit noisy. I found that the rubberized idler wheels on mine are cracked, but not broken yet. also the item called "reel table rubber", 4-4 in the service manual, is missing about a 10mm chunk. Also, I found a nylon washer just laying inside the works, and have no clue where it came from.Dates on parts inside look like it's a 1978. well, enjoy the pics, I'll listen to some music until the wheels disintegrate:music:
DSC_3066.jpg
DSC_3067.jpg
DSC_3068.jpg
DSC_3069.jpg
DSC_3071.jpg
DSC_3073-1.jpg
DSC_3076.jpg

Nice looking deck, you still have the tape mounted wrong on the left side.
The white washer you found inside goes on top of the play-handle shaft before face-plate.
Those 2 idler-wheels (nr-5 stamped on) can be refurbish again with new rubber by Terry Witt.
The motor noise when tension arm i lifted up = check the screws holding the motor in place from the inside base (front), sometimes they vibrate loose and create more noise then original. :thmbsp:

Nice looking deck, you still have the tape mounted wrong on the left side.
The white washer you found inside goes on top of the play-handle shaft before face-plate.
Those 2 idler-wheels (nr-5 stamped on) can be refurbish again with new rubber by Terry Witt.
The motor noise when tension arm i lifted up = check the screws holding the motor in place from the inside base (front), sometimes they vibrate loose and create more noise then original. :thmbsp:
Thanks for the info!, I'll go back and put that part where it goes, and check the motor mounting screws. Eventually, I'll get those idler wheels done, and can keep it going for another 30 years.:music:

Hi there,
I just acquired a GX-4000d and have a few issues with it.
I know this is an old thread, but might be useful to resurrect it.

Now, issue no.1 is the deck is quite noisy in playback mode, not so much when FFW or rewind, so my guess is the capstan flywheel might be the culprit. I lubricated everything that was possible apart from the capstan. Tried to find a spot to drop some oil but no luck. Applied some oil to the capstan itself from the front but I don't think that's the way to go.
Anyone has any idea?

The other issue is the Record light does not come on when pressing the record button and the deck does not record or erase.
I can see it is all mechanical, so maybe something needs to be looked at, or lubed or both.
Please advise.

Does the Record button activate the multipole switch inside? If not, that may explain why you have no record light and the deck does not record or erase. Open the back and have a look.

Noise can have multiple sources, you will need to investigate. A stethoscope type tool will help pinpoint exactly where it comes from. You can improvise one like those used by mechanics to locate weird noises in a car. Have a look on the internets to see what they look like.

The fact it is noisier in playback would point at the pinch roller because that is the only bit that's not moving in FF or REW. That said, the capstan itself is under pressure/effort too on playback but then again, so is everything else due to the tension in the tape.

PS. I know this is an old question, but I do have an original cover for my deck. Found it brand new too.

The record button is only a mechanical safety interlock, pushing it in unlocks the play / record lever allowing it to be shifted all the way over to the record position. Once the play / record lever is shifted all the way over to the record position all of the record functions should work.

Back
Top Bottom