1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Akai GX636 woes.

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Audiotfoot, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Audiotfoot

Audiotfoot AK Subscriber Subscriber

Three days ago when an attempt to record a tape was made my GX636 kind of said it had a headache and wasn't in the mood and maybe I should go away. Sigh. Actually over the past several months the record level has had to be continually boosted higher to get adequate levels, so I'm not entirely surprised.

Checking it has determined that:

Playback works well.
    When in record mode:
    both right and left tracks are erased.
    no audio signal comes through when the source / tape switch is in source position.
    a hiss can be heard in both source and tape positions of the tape / source switch.
    All switch lights indicate the switches are working except the tape mute switch..

I have:

Removed the front and back cover.
    Checked the fuses - all good.
    Used Deoxit on every switch and contact, including those under the bottom bar.
    Cleaned the RCA connectors, again with Deoxit.
    Tried several different input devices (receiver, CD player, iPod) with no good results.

Is there something I have missed, or a further step that can be taken to diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Ron B.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Jonny Ramone

Jonny Ramone Super Member

The auto-reverse relays might need to be cleaned, and the record/play switch, if it has one. These decks are prone to Akai transistor rot, though. Google that. There are lots of threads about 635/636 issues.

3. Jonny Ramone

Jonny Ramone Super Member

4. Audiotfoot

Audiotfoot AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks. I had heard of AKAI transistor problems but wasn't sure what they affected. From what was said on the thread provided above it looks like I'm going to replace transistors.