AKAI GXC-730D "Tank"

Angler

Just got this a couple days ago from that auction site for very cheap. The seller said it worked good and looked ok. So far he was right but I only have one cassette tape to play in it and I haven't tried to record yet.
All I have for a tape is an old one, in nice condition, called "CC #83 Cottontail Duet" that I use to use for hunting Coyotes. I haven't hunted Coyotes in more than ten years and was lucky to find that tape. It sounded great and I bet I called in every predator in the county last night.
Here are some pics of this big tank and it is heavy. I just wiped it off but haven't tried to clean the heads or rollers yet. I downloaded the service manual but couldn't find an owners manual so if anyone knows where I can get one it would be appreciated. I think it's going to be a job cleaning the mechanism in this thing.
Al

Attachments

• 100_1674.jpg
    100_1674.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 100_1680.jpg
    100_1680.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_1683.jpg
    100_1683.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 155
Nobody knows where I can find an Owners Manual for this thing?
I'd really like to have one.
Thanks,
Al

You might try www.freeservicemanuals.net. Edit: They have it, watch out for spam.

I have looked at this site and hifiengine also but they only have the service manual which I already have. I am looking for the Owners Manual that may be called the Users Manual. I'm not sure what it's called because I can't find anything that even mentions it. The hifiengine site usually mentions both manuals even if they don't have one or either of them and they don't even mention it so I am beginning to wonder if this deck even came with a manual.
Thank you for trying guys.
Al

Oh, man!!
This brings memories! :yes:

I used to have Akai 740D which was one model above yours.
Original owner, actually my dad bought it sometime mid –to late 70-ies and I played it extensively for maybe 2 decades. As I remember, at the end I did wear the roller and possibly belts were weak but that thing never failed!
I’m sure my parents still have it stored in their basement, possibly even the owner’s manual (and period Akai catalogs).
Unfortunately, it is not accessible to me to get it and scan it, I’m sure it’s very similar to your model, albeit with couple of extra features, IIRC.

Actually, now I see yours’ is auto reverse model, 740D was not. But it had Bias adjustment/calibration, I just can’t remember details.

Regards,

Last edited:
nudies

I took the cover off yesterday and took a few pics. I found that the front cover on the loading door just slides up and off for easier cleaning which is a real nice feature. It is my intention to recap this thing after I get some more experience but when that will be I don't know. I wish I could afford to have someone else do it. I also found that the belts look sorta flimsy and they feel loose but it runs very well and sounds good too. I am ordering belts as soon as I have a list of parts that I need for other projects. I found a few different sites for the belts but I wish I could find a place to order all the stuff I need for all my projects on one site. I'm just doing some searches for now but I hope to place an order after the holidays.

Al

Attachments

• 100_1689.jpg
    100_1689.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_1692.jpg
    100_1692.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_1693.jpg
    100_1693.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_1694.jpg
    100_1694.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 156
Some individual belt suppliers:

mcmelectronics
stereo sound electronics
vintage electronics (they sell kits for specific decks as well as individual belts)
ebay- many single belts being offered reasonably incl shipping. contact seller and ask for others.

I don't think you need to recap it, but definitely, new belts.

All I have for a tape is an old one, in nice condition, called "CC #83 Cottontail Duet" that I use to use for hunting Coyotes.

This almost made me cry, it was so beautiful... :yes:

Beautiful deck too - I am looking for a big ol' silver classic like this. Keep us apprised!

This almost made me cry, it was so beautiful... :yes:

Beautiful deck too - I am looking for a big ol' silver classic like this. Keep us apprised!

Thank you very much. I got some good tapes at the thrift store and some at the flea market and do they ever sound nice. I can't believe how crystal clear the sound is from this old deck. It does have a few battle scars but it still looks pretty good. Other than the sound, what I like the most is the "big ol' silver classic" look of it.
Oh', thanks lukiedog for the belt suppliers.
Al

I've got one as well....Nice feature is the reverse recording and playback if you're so inclined. Mine will be the better for new belts so I've been watching this thread with some interest. I've got a Nak 1000 tri tracer and a Pioneer CT-F1000 and the Akai doesn't fall too far behind. Really it's all a bit wasted on me 'cos I hardly ever listen to tape anymore. :no:

I've got one as well....Nice feature is the reverse recording and playback if you're so inclined. Mine will be the better for new belts so I've been watching this thread with some interest. I've got a Nak 1000 tri tracer and a Pioneer CT-F1000 and the Akai doesn't fall too far behind. Really it's all a bit wasted on me 'cos I hardly ever listen to tape anymore. :no:

Yeah, I didn't even have any tapes when I got this and haven't had any for years. I just picked this up because, like I said earlier, I like the "big ol' silver classic" look of it but I was really surprised at the nice sound. When I picked up some tapes at the thrift store (it's a thrift store that supports abused women) I noticed there were two tapes in the box that are labeled SA-X100 High Bias IECII/Type II made by TDK so I put one in and started to play it when I thought, JEEPERS, this sounds extraordinary! I don't know what was recorded on the tapes, it's some type of classical type pop music if that makes any sense, but I could tell that it was a much higher quality recording than the pre-recorded tapes that I got in the box. Anyway, I'm going to try and record something shortly on the blank tapes I got from AK'er leesonic the other day.
I have yet to order the belts for this because I've been spending too much money and the holidays are here so it will probably be after the New Year.
It's just fun messing with this stuff!

Al

Revive Thread!!

Just bought one of these and can't wait to hook it up!!!!

I'm getting one tomorrow !
€50 including original manual and paperwork that came with original purchase!
The guy says it runs perfect, we'll see about that :D But very likely it will also need new belts and a clean like they all do.

The girlfriend already gave me a weird look that im getting a second deck, well 'cous i don't know if the pioneer can get fixed or not.

I'm getting one tomorrow !
€50 including original manual and paperwork that came with original purchase!
The guy says it runs perfect, we'll see about that :D But very likely it will also need new belts and a clean like they all do.

The girlfriend already gave me a weird look that im getting a second deck, well 'cous i don't know if the pioneer can get fixed or not.

How on earth did you found it so cheap?? Now in 2013 i paid 1125 SEK (wich is around 127€) and it did also include original owners and service manual.

The vintage top of the line audio components are usually expensive here in Sweden but even on Ebay in other EU countries.. I guess you were lucky.. Does it work properly?

Back
Top Bottom