Akai GXC-75D problem

Sounion

I have got a problem with the vu meters. Both are working.
But when I play a tape, only the right one is working when the tape is reading in the classical position.
On the reverse position (yes, that's an auto reverse deck from the 70's), only the left one is working.
The head doesn't make a full turn like 80's machine, it is simply a up and down movement.

When I put a microphone to test both channels, they are responding perfectly during the recording session.
But when I play back, the problem appears ...

I think about a problem around the tape area.

Thank you for your help in advance ...

I have got a problem with the vu meters. Both are working.
But when I play a tape, only the right one is working when the tape is reading in the classical position.
On the reverse position (yes, that's an auto reverse deck from the 70's), only the left one is working.
The head doesn't make a full turn like 80's machine, it is simply a up and down movement.

When I put a microphone to test both channels, they are responding perfectly during the recording session.
But when I play back, the problem appears ...

I think about a problem around the tape area.

Thank you for your help in advance ...

maybe - can't remember that deck - first of all - check with a pre-recorded tape, that both cannels are playing - both ways - just to be sure

quite honestly i dont think i've seen a casettedeck where the heads are moved vertically - allway either 4 track heads, ore a rotating kind.......

Same problem with a pre recorded tape.

Need to watch it closer, but it seems that there are two erase heads which are not on the same vertical scale. It would mean that the reading/recording head makes only a vertical movement.

It is a very weird and unique machine. Unfortunately, it came way dirtier and more damaged than described by the seller ...

I found this link http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45800 but unfortunately, the machine died before complete restoration.

Last edited:
Same problem with a pre recorded tape.

Need to watch it closer, but it seems that there are two erase heads which are not on the same vertical scale. It would mean that the reading/recording head makes only a vertical movement.........QUOTE]

if it's a deck with moving heads, it could very well be a simple thing, as a broken wire to the heads - it's not an unusual error -

i can't find anything on the deck besides a picture, telling me it's quite old, and a bigger brother to the GX-C46 .. i simply can't recall any autoreverse decks from that period (r2r's execpted)

After a careful second inspection, it seems that the channel that doesn't work is in fact very low when stuck to the amplifier.
So, maybe not a broken wire but a dry soldering around the tape region.

Yes, in fact I purchased that old deck because, it is heavy, old, and I had never heard or seen before an auto reverse deck from the 70's which had wood panels and such a design.

The reading head is moving up and down and there are two erasing heads - one on the left and the other on the right ...
So, we can almost consider it as a 3-tape design machine :D

Back
Top Bottom