Akai Info

DrMux

Welcome to the Gig.
Is there a group or forum for Akai owners? I just picked one up and it sounds better than everything else I own. Why is this brand isn't as popular as some others with dedicated forums here? Same things with Yamaha. I remember in the 70's and 80's when people were crazy about these but I find very little info on them. We're they all hype?

The only thing I don't like about this model it the face only has three lamps and it's dim. But I just bought 10 3mm 12VDC lamps and a AC rectifier so I can add some more lamps. Should be an interesting project. It's an AA-1040with 40 thunderous WPC. It's just so sleek and clean. Even the wooden box looks nicer than most others I own except the Marantz box I had made.

Is there a group or forum for Akai owners? I just picked one up and it sounds better than everything else I own. Why is this brand isn't as popular as some others with dedicated forums here? Same things with Yamaha. I remember in the 70's and 80's when people were crazy about these but I find very little info on them. We're they all hype?

The only thing I don't like about this model it the face only has three lamps and it's dim. But I just bought 10 3mm 12VDC lamps and a AC rectifier so I can add some more lamps. Should be an interesting project. It's an AA-1040with 40 thunderous WPC. It's just so sleek and clean. Even the wooden box looks nicer than most others I own except the Marantz box I had made.

like this one?
akai%20aa-1040.jpg

looks purdy nice to me!

They made some pretty good stuff. Iv'e got an AM-2850 amp and the matching AT-2650 tuner. The amp is a monster and sounds real good to boot, the tuner is as good or better than anything else I own, must pull them out of the closet and fire them up some time.

Last edited:
:scratch2: Whenever I hear the name Akai, the first thing that comes to my mind is their R2R decks. I'm lucky to own two.

Their silver faced components remind me of Yamahas - looking sleek and modern.
I'd be temped to grab some if I they ever come my way with the right price tag attached. :yes:

I picked up a AA-1150 the other day. Seems to be well built. I ordered an original service manual for it this morning. Everything works except the front panel display bulbs.

I have the big AA-1175 receiver. Dual transformer power supply, with 4 filter caps. Really hefty for a 75 WPC receiver. It has a few problems though, and it doesn't seem like there's much support out there for Akai gear.

I have the big AA-1175 receiver. Dual transformer power supply, with 4 filter caps. Really hefty for a 75 WPC receiver. It has a few problems though, and it doesn't seem like there's much support out there for Akai gear.

That's a shame too because this is some awesome gear. The only place I could find help on lighting was a German site I found. Translated it but the guy put way to much into in my book. I'm looking for something quick and simple. Even the stereo repair shops online told me they don't have any info. But I think they just don't want to mess with it since they don't see many. There are all kinds of service manuals so it shouldn't be too hard to get a tech somewhere to get into this. Then we can start a forum or club.:thmbsp:

another akai fan here :thmbsp:

(2x) akai gx52 cassette decks
akai ap-206c turntable + akai pc 100 cartridge
akai am-u7 amp
akai at 2250L tuner (basic but pretty decent)

always liked their 'alternative' styling on their late 70's early 80s gear :yes:

Great! Let all the Akia lovers post here and lets see if we can get enough interest to start a forum up on here. Or at least a sticky. What do you say? :banana:

:scratch2: Whenever I hear the name Akai, the first thing that comes to my mind is their R2R decks. I'm lucky to own two.

Their silver faced components remind me of Yamahas - looking sleek and modern.
I'd be temped to grab some if I they ever come my way with the right price tag attached. :yes:

20 something years after the fact, I still miss my old GX-747.

FYI, AKAI as an independent company no longer exists. They were merged into MITSUBISI a decade ago and now making measuremnt devices and electronic weighing machine under the brand name as 'AandD' At least from domestic market they've withrawn audo-related business. AKai's rival is, as many of you know, TEAC. I didn't know AKAI was supplying audio equipment other than R2R and cassette decks in US. Are they still providing customers with after care service in US? TEAC shifted their profit source from tape-decks to FDDs and professional use gears under the brand name of TASCAM. Akai faild in finding next fileld of business.

Last edited:
FYI, AKAI as an indivisual company no longer exists. They were merged into MITSUBISI a decade ago and now making measuremnt devices and electronic weighing machine under the brand name as 'AandD' At least from domestic market they've withrawn audo-related business. AKai's rival is, as many of you know, TEAC. I didn't know AKAI was supplying audio equipment other than R2R and cassette decks in US. Are they still providing customers with after care service in US? TEAC shifted their profit source from tape-decks to FDDs and professional use gears under the brand name of TASCAM. Akai faild in finding next fileld of business.

I think there is still some TEAC-branded gear sold in the US, mostly CD players.

I used to use GX-709D, piano-lever type cassette deck and an AandD brand cassette deck and a magnetic eraser.

I think there is still some TEAC-branded gear sold in the US, mostly CD players.

Yes, TEAC is continuing to make customer use gears such as CDP and probably DVD players, in addition, high-end boutique setero sets under the brand name of ESOTERIC, but they are very expensive. They had SP models of TEAC brand long ago. TEAC is the authorized import agent in Japan of ALTEC.
I think TEAC was aggressive in business, while AKAI had a respectable engineer spirt but lacked the sense of company strategy. It seems to me like this.

Last edited:
Yes, TEAC is continuing to make customer use gears such as CDP and probably DVD players, in addition, high-end boutique setero sets under the brand name of ESOTERIC, but they are very expensive. They had SP models of TEAC brand long ago. TEAC is the authorized import agent in Japan of ALTEC.
I think TEAC was aggressive in business, while AKAI had a respectable engineer spirt but lacked the sense of company strategy. It seems to me like this.

One thing I can see after opening this up is it appears to be higher quality than most receivers I've seen in this price and model range. It also has some Toshiba parts in it, though I'm sure many Japanese brands did. What about the Hatachi and Toshiba stereo gear? My older brother had an Hitachi that we could play guitar through back in the 70's. May have beena Toshiba. It's been a while.

Toshiba and Hitachi are not so-called the set maker. They are comprehensive (general) electric comanies. However, they were also making audio gears under their audio brand names as Lo-D and Aurex. In domestic market they were competing with 'audio makers', but audiophiles tended to prefer San-Tri-Pi to them. Diatone(Mitsubishi) and Technics(Matsushita) went into US market, but the above two were not enthusiastic in foreign market. THere were so many companies competing in audio industry in those days. In addition to these, OTTO(Sanyo) and Optonica(Sharp) were struggling among them as well, but playing second fiddle to others. I'm using OTTO belt-drive TT now. NEC was also making amplifiers, I recall.

Last edited:
Akai in the USA is defunct as an audio manufacturer. No parts support nor factory service. They were known in the USA for their tape decks and little of their other products were sold here. Most Akai receivers and amplifiers were sold in Europe or in Asia. The Akai name is still used in the musical instrument field mainly as a maker of drum machines.

I have an Akai receiver. It is an AA-R30. I go it for very little at a Goodwill. I didn't expect much but it is a smooth performer. High frequencies are very smooth and open. Like Pioneer 50 series, without the lower mid bump. Robust build quality. I would pick up another if I could find one with more power. I think they are interesting looking.

Back
Top Bottom