Akai x 1800sd

ekmanning5

Time has told me...
Sorry to keep asking for advise so early in my postings, buuuut. I have had an Akai x 1800 sd reel-to-reel staring at me in my basement for about ten years. I haven't used it in about five. Is this unit worth investing time and money to maintain? I literally know nothing about it. Also if anyone lives in the western suburbs of Chicago is there a good electronics repair place out this way? I love my stuff but don't know how capable I am at working on it.
Thanks.

Greetings from another newbie. You know what's great about that unit? You already have it! I keep hearing that the Akai's are tops for sound, and comparing my old Akai to my newer Sony (apples to oranges, I know but...) I have to agree. Hope the basement isn't a damp place. I guess it just depends on its condition; if you have to dump a bunch of money into it would it be worth it just to buy the same machine in better condition and keep that one for parts?(you WILL need parts!) Most aren't making them anymore and if you have a decent machine to begin with it may make sense to standardize. Might check out Oak Tree Enterprises on the net- they have a lot of this kind of stuff. Just my 2 cents worth-I'm certainly no expert.
Dan

thanks for the response. A few years ago I was having a garage sale and had the Akai out in the yard playing music (it's great because it has those built in speakers). Someone made me an offer for it and I turned him down. I rather like the thing and I think I'll do some investigating and perhaps educate myself a little better. Thanks again.

I just realized that's a similar model to my 1710, except I believe yours is solid state and mine's tube. For what it's worth I'll be going thru mine too because although it sounds fantastic the higher speed quit working the other day so I guess I gotta tear the thing down. I'm no expert but I just took the covers off mine, put the knobs back on, plugged it in (careful!) and figured out how she works by running thru the functions and observing the mechanism. If people built it, people can fix it.
Also, check out Steven Bender's webpage and reels-and-manuals.com for info on akai decks and parts.
I'm goin' to bed before I tinker again.
Dan

Back
Top Bottom