Ak's 2017 Secret Santa Sign up complete, Now what did you get?

I'll speak up, I find it very disheartening and disrespectful for members to join in on this and wait a day or two before Christmas to even ship their gifts. You where given your recipient about a month ahead of time and there is no reason to blow it off till you feel like doing it.

It also appears the lack of class and acknowledgement that you'v received something from someone is pretty prevalent.

All I can say is I'm glad I got Jim this year and he appreciated the time I took to think about him.

Sadly I was forced to reveal myself to my recipient this year due to delays related to our home being in the Thomas Fire zone. Rather than just toss an LP in a box and be done with I wanted to see him get the gift I picked based on researching his current needs. I had Jim send my recipient messages (to remain anonymous) about delay but it got to be way too late and did not want my recipient to worry he was forgotten. He was certainly not being blown off until I felt like doing it.

Lucky us here in So Cal now we have mudslides where a month ago we had flames. The good thing about living in So Cal with all our disasters is at least it is cheap to live here :mad:

Trying to figure out a gift is half the fun of this IMO. I loved my gift and it was clear the sender did his research. I had a WTB for these items long, long ago.

I will do a better job of mixing up the SS and recipients next year as my formula this year lead to to many shared pairings.
Regards,
Jim

For future reference AKA - SS 2018 if you can't get a gift out in a timely manner after over a months advance notice please don't participate. Notices went out late last year and we had no January deliveries of gifts. I know life can get complicated but participation requires a commitment of doing the right thing in a holiday spirit! BTW I only participated due to an uneven number of requests.
Till next year,
Your SS coordinator

I'm sorry if these posts about being late are indirectly or directly aimed at me. Our house almost burned down in the worst fire in the history of California and a fire that began 40 miles from my home stopped less than 5 miles away ten days later. Our important belongings were all packed and placed by the front door for easy evacuation and our home, lungs and everything else were filled with smoke and ash for two weeks. We had no christmas here. I apologized to George and I made a very good faith effort to complete this in time. Last year I had no such issues and got a gift sent from 2K miles away to a recipient 500 miles away from the place I purchased it. A place with no web presence to speak of and I had to do quite a bit of research and phoning to get a gift mailed from them to my recipient. All done so early that I had to have Jim notify them not to leave under tree because it was perishable and needed refrigeration.

If these are not aimed at me I am sorry for being so touchy. Between the fires and now mudslides we are on edge here the past month. I believe I am a good AK citizen.

I understand that there can be extenuating circumstances, and yours certainly qualifies. There were several instances of exceptionally late deliveries this year and my post was simply aimed at making next years event run smoothly with no hurt feelings over a long standing AK holiday event.
Regards,
Jim

I understand that there can be extenuating circumstances, and yours certainly qualifies. There were several instances of exceptionally late deliveries this year and my post was simply aimed at making next years event run smoothly with no hurt feelings over a long standing AK holiday event.
Regards,
Jim
Thanks for making me feel less bad. I was afraid I was the rotten apple ruining the bushel. I will be much quicker next year and look forward to it already. Subject closed on my front and thanks again for doing this and all the things the AK mods do to make this place so awesome.

I received my gift after Christmas in the form of a digital gift card, and this was communicated via a mod.

I would like to say that I still considered my gift very generous and timely, and I although I still don't know for sure who my Santa was, I'm still thankful :)

I got mine and he got his. (wink) The camera on my phone died but I will divulge that he got me a ZeroDust stylus cleaner and I couldn't be happier.

I'm sorry if these posts about being late are indirectly or directly aimed at me.
Not at all
If these are not aimed at me I am sorry for being so touchy.
I understand, and even with all that happen in your life you actually feel bad about being late, that's a good thing, it shows you care.
Between the fires and now mudslides we are on edge here the past month.
I feel for you guy's down there, what a mess and we lost a lot of lives up here. Now your death toll is climbing as a result of the fires with the rain.

I believe I am a good AK citizen.
Yes in deed

I will do a better job of mixing up the SS and recipients next year as my formula this year lead to to many shared pairings.
I don't really think that was the problem and you have been doing a good job putting it together.

I understand that there can be extenuating circumstances, and yours certainly qualifies.
hell yeah

There were several instances of exceptionally late deliveries this year
That's what I was seeing throughout the thread as it was getting so late and people where not even shipping yet. Sorry for speaking my mind, but it was bothering me the whole time.

I know life can get complicated but participation requires a commitment

^^This sums it all up

My Santa did get my present here a couple days ago, and will be used as extra decorations for next year's Christmas, and he included a card apologizing that the items didn't arrive till New Year's Eve so he couldn't ship till after the First.

Invariably, there will be delays, supplier or vendor problems, and of course shipping issues. I have it on good authority that Santa has had some problems with a number of his vendors who over promised and under delivered, quite literally. So patience, being a virtue, is key here, and hopefully everyone has fun with it. I know I have.
Two months after Christmas, I don’t think I have any more patients or any fun of waiting. I don’t know why people sign up for this SS exchange gift and can’t follow up with it .

Two months after Christmas, I don’t think I have any more patients or any fun of waiting. I don’t know why people sign up for this SS exchange gift and can’t follow up with it .
I don’t either, but I do know one thing I have your address so keep a lookout in the mail. Some people like my gifts anytime of year.

I am sorry to here this, I will follow up for you.
Regards,
Jim

Yup. I participated. My person received their gifts before Christmas. I never received anything, so I share your frustration and disappointment.

I understand sometimes emergencies come up. However, if a person simply flakes out, they should be banned for future SS gift exchanges.

However, if a person simply flakes out, they should be banned for future SS gift exchanges.
Bad Karma should get off the site, I know for one thing I wouldn't even be able to post anything around here just out of embarrassment. @paulvo Look below

Last edited:
I'm outing myself as the bad Santa here, for Paul, and apologize publicly for my delay in getting his package shipped out; it is in the hands of the USPS as I write this. I could give a litany of reasons and excuses, but it ultimately doesn't matter.

Paulvo, I'm sorry for the frustration I have caused you by my delay in shipping your gift, and I hope you find it useful somewhere.

Paul and I were matched, and he sent a very nice 45 RPM Count Basie recording; I've kept it sealed and staring at me as a reminder of my obligation.

ehoove, please seriously consider mixing up the sender/recipient pairs next year. When you are matched to the same person, the spirit of things changes from an open gifting, to a reciprocal transaction, instead of just giving freely to someone, with no expectations of getting anything in return, or of matching what someone else spent.

And that's what the Secret Santa should be; a chance to give freely.

I plan on signing up to participate for next year, but only as a sender, so I can share.

I'm outing myself as the bad Santa here, for Paul, and apologize publicly for my delay in getting his package shipped out; it is in the hands of the USPS as I write this. I could give a litany of reasons and excuses, but it ultimately doesn't matter.

Paulvo, I'm sorry for the frustration I have caused you by my delay in shipping your gift, and I hope you find it useful somewhere.

Paul and I were matched, and he sent a very nice 45 RPM Count Basie recording; I've kept it sealed and staring at me as a reminder of my obligation.

ehoove, please seriously consider mixing up the sender/recipient pairs next year. When you are matched to the same person, the spirit of things changes from an open gifting, to a reciprocal transaction, instead of just giving freely to someone, with no expectations of getting anything in return, or of matching what someone else spent.

And that's what the Secret Santa should be; a chance to give freely.

I plan on signing up to participate for next year, but only as a sender, so I can share.

I have already made it clear I was changing my match method next year as this years method left a few pairings like yours. Thank You for completing your obligation to paulvo. In regards to your comment I highlighted, your premise only comes into play if the gifts are not sent in a reasonable time frame by both parties.
Regards,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom