Albums where EVERY song is good

gggvan

I think I can count these on one or two hands. Not some good tunes and some you can tolerate, I mean every track a keeper.

Only 1 recent I can think of: Band of Horses, Everything All the Time, 2006.

Beatles White Album comes to mind, not every song, but for a double its pretty close.

Wow, I think there are really many of these, although of course this will be a very individual thing, as with everything in music.

But here are a few for me, without even really trying very hard:

The Cars - Candy-O
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, Animals
Steely Dan - Aja
Yes - Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, Fragile, 90125
King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King, Discipline
Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing

I could list a LOT more...but again, that's all IMO only...

Pink Floyd - DSOTM
Beatles - Revolver
Moody Blues - Days Of Future Past
Spock's Beard - Day For Night
Joni Mitchell - For The Roses
Yes - Close To The Edge
Yes - Fragile
Beatles - Sergeant Pepper
I can think of lots more...

Doors first and second

Jefferson Airplane- Surrealistic Pillow

Wishbone Ash- Argus

Neil Young- Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

Santana III

Big Brother and the Holding Company- Cheap Thrills

Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers

Pink
Floyd- DSOTM

Jimi Hendrix- Electric Ladyland

Traffic- S/T

Beatles- Rubber Soul

Mike Oldfield - The Orchestral Tubular Bells

b_32100_Mike_Oldfield-The_Orchestral_Tubular_Bells__Hdcd_Remaster_-2000.jpg

Music for the Jilted Generation

TheProdigy-MusicForTheJiltedGeneration.jpg

Underworld - Beaucoup Fish

Underworld.beaucoupfish.jpg

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

MassiveAttackMezzanine.jpg

Portishead - Portishead

Portishead_-_Portishead.png

Depeche Mode - Ultra

Dm_ultra.jpg

Orbital - The Altogether

Orbital_-_The_Altogether_cover.jpg

Really? Are you folks sure every song is a keeper. Let's put it this way: If Apple ruled the world as the sole outlet for music and you had to buy each song indivdually, would you buy all the tracks from each album? Or would you say, ah, I can live without this or that one.

I think I can count these on one or two hands. Not some good tunes and some you can tolerate, I mean every track a keeper.

Only 1 recent I can think of: Band of Horses, Everything All the Time, 2006.

Beatles White Album comes to mind, not every song, but for a double its pretty close.

37491060.jpg

To me a good album is not so much full of 100% good songs as much as it's just arranged well so for the case postulated by the OP I'm going to have to dig up a couple of concept albums that I really like.

Colours by Between the Buried and Me which the band treats as one long song live.
btbamc.jpg

The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place by Explosions in the Sky. Only 5 songs but still pretty much full-length.
The_earth_is_not_a_cold_dead_place.jpg

Bring Me Your Love by City and Colour is NOT a concept album but I just realized at the last second that I can't fault a song on it.
Bring+Me+Your+Love+PNG.png

Last edited:
Really? Are you folks sure every song is a keeper. Let's put it this way: If Apple ruled the world as the sole outlet for music and you had to buy each song indivdually, would you buy all the tracks from each album? Or would you say, ah, I can live without this or that one.

...of course this will be a very individual thing, as with everything in music.

There's the rub, personally I like Infinite Arms better than Everything All The Time. The only album that is coming to me right now is fun. - Aim And Ignite.

There's the rub, personally I like Infinite Arms better than Everything All The Time. The only album that is coming to me right now is fun. - Aim And Ignite.

personal tastes-granted. Infinitie Arms preferable to Everything All The Time... not an issue. But, would you buy all the songs if you didn't need to?

But, would you buy all the songs if you didn't need to?

Probably, but I like to evaluate the artist's work as a whole. Sure there are some throw-aways on most albums but it almost makes the good songs better if that makes sense.

Hundreds of the quality adult jazz/pop albums from the '50's, as the songs were written by the best songwriters of all time. Here's a favorite.

IMG_20130411_181531.jpg

Back
Top Bottom