Mark Knopfler: Shangri la

Boston 1st
Billy Joel 52nd Street
Elton John Tumbleweed Connection
Roy Orbison Mystery Girl
Sea Level 1st & Cats on the Coast
Firefall 1st

HIFITOMMY (and all...)

I too am a big ANDREAS VOLLENWEIDER fan. I particularly like his earlier stuff.
These are my two faves. If I could only pick one, it would be WHITE WINDS.

ANDREAS VOLLENWEIDER Down to the Moon.jpg
ANDREAS VOLLENWEIDER White Winds.jpg

Best of VINYL LP, of course - despite claims of DIGITAL recording!

And for anyone who has never never ventured down the PROGRESSIVE ROCK path...

Despite flashes of absolute genius elsewhere - think A FAREWELL TO KINGS "XANADU" - I consider SIGNALS to be the best overall album by RUSH. Hardly a duff track to be found.
(Blokes feel very passionate about PROG ROCK, so I know others will have their own faves...)

A truly great album cover too - it must be said!

RUSH Signals.jpg

STAMIR

I agree. DAFT PUNK / RANDOM ACCESS MEMORIES is one of the greatest albums of the new millennium.

Anyone who thinks that all of the good music stopped being made last century should give this a serious listen.
(All analogue production values ensure that the VINYL LP is well worth the extra investment...)

DAFT PUNK Random Access Memories.jpg

For new listeners, try INSTANT CRUSH for a taste...

Last edited:
By the late 1980s, DIRE STRAITS were a bit commercially over-exposed - victims of their own massive global success - so many fans had become a bit jaded and quietly missed their final outing. Shame.
Nearly 30 years later, I have to confess that I return to this particular DIRE STRAITS album more than any other.
In their final album together, ON EVERY STREET is simply sensational - despite the "Made for Radio" single HEAVY FUEL.
(Think "I WANT MY MTV..." Every album had one of these, back in the day...)
Recorded to perfection, my favourite tracks are YOU AND YOUR FRIEND and PLANET OF NEW ORLEANS, but there's plenty more to enjoy, besides.
If you missed it back in 1991, be sure to give DIRE STRAITS / ON EVERY STREET a fresh listen. I think you'll be very glad that you did!
(Yet another FANTASTIC album cover too....)

PS: The original Vinyl LP (1LP) was very hard to get, but the new German reissue - on 2LPs - is well worth the investment!

DIRE STRAITS On Every Street.jpg

Last edited:
As a brand new dad, this year I've needed to revert to some of my VERY laid-back music fare.
Whatever the reason, all of you who are in the same boat - skulking around in the wee hours, determined to have a bit of a listen - this album is for you.

GERALD GARCIA / CSFR STATE PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA conducted by PETER BREINER
ROMANTIC FRENCH MUSIC FOR GUITAR AND ORCHESTRA

Again, this album is recorded to absolute perfection. And because some of the music is recorded at a very low-level, it provides the opportunity to really crank it up and give your stereo a good sound-check - without things getting too loud.
One of my all-time favourites - if you can actually find a copy of it.
(Only available on CD, I've only every seen 3 copies of it...)

If only I could convince KLAUS HEYMANN to release this - and other NAXOS titles - on VINYL LP!
(Believe me - I've tried, more than once!!!)

GERALD GARCIA Romantic French Music for Guitar & Orchestra.jpg

Last edited:
Beatles - Abbey Road
Neil Young - Harvest
Neil Young - Harvest Moon
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
Led Zep 1
Robert Plant/Allison Krauss - Rasing Sand
Steely Dan - Aja
Bob Marley - Exodus
Carlos Santana - Abraxas
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
David Bowie - Most albums
Van Morrison - Moondance
The Clash - London Calling
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Dave Brubeck - Time Out

The planet lost a real musical genius a few Christmas's back, with the sad passing of GEORGE MICHAEL - at the tender age of 53.

Recently, I gave my ROCK / PROG ROCK loving mate a copy of this album. Understand that he is - like me - very eclectic in his music tastes and is prepared to listen to "anything good". Previously - due to WHAM only exposure - he held that GM was strictly a purveyor of bubblegum pop...)

My buddy returned to me totally jaw-dropped, commenting that not only was GM a master of composition, but he possessed a voice as spectacular and unique as KAREN CARPENTER, FREDDIE MERCURY, EVA CASSIDY and others. He now considers this album to be easily among his TOP 10 ALBUMS EVER!
(Not a bad trophy...)

I couldn't agree more. My mate has subsequently gathered-up all of GM's other solo outings - each of which is thoroughly worthy of attention.

If you enjoy quality JAZZ or JAZZ/POP, you need to hear this album.

GEORGE MICHAEL
OLDER

GEORGE MICHAEL Older (1996, ADD).jpg

Be sure to crank up YOU HAVE BEEN LOVED... Legend!

PS: If you are lucky enough to have purchased an original VINYL LP of this album, look after it... Today it's worth around USD $1,500 in MINT condition!!!

Last edited:
NAVINJOHNSON

I agree. This is a great album! One helluva debut...

MARC COHEN Mark Cohen 1991.jpg

New listeners, try GHOST TRAIN or PERFECT LOVE...

I'm pretty sure nobody has listed this 2016/17 release yet.

So laid back and yet so very catchy...
(Fans of COWBOY JUNKIES / THE TRINITY SESSIONS might enjoy...)

CIGARETTES AFTER SEX
Cigarettes After Sex
CIGARETTES AFTER SEX Cigarettes After Sex (2016).jpg

New listeners, try APOCALYPSE or K.

Last edited:
GOTAN PROJECT
LA REVANCHA DEL TANGO
(Translates to The Revenge of Tango...)

My wife rations me on this album. It's just such quirky, infectious and above all - FRENCH - music, I just can't get enough of it.

As good as a Citroen motoring holiday through Provence...

GOTAN PROJECT La Revancha Del Tango.png

I was originally introduced to BEN HARPER via his excellent FIGHT FOR YOUR MIND album. A sensational recording.

However, these days, I find that I return to his earlier effort more often.

BEN HARPER
WELCOME TO THE CRUEL WORLD

BHWTTCW.jpg

It is very similar to FFYM, so you could probably pick either.

BEN HARPER Fight for your Mind (1995, ADD).jpg

Note the fantastic recording quality on both of these albums, which rewards the extra investment in the VINYL LP versions.
(The 12" LP Single of WHIPPING BOY is simply killer!)

On the basis that there seems to be a load of Stateside participants in this thread - who may not be that familiar with NZ/AU music - I'd like to share a few more Down Under gems that nobody should miss. First up....

COLD CHISEL
RADIO SONGS

One of Australia's greatest rock bands, this compilation - I know, I'm cheating - will hopefully encourage some new listeners to seek out the albums which produced these hits.

If you know the name JIMMY BARNES, this is where it all started...

COLD CHISEL Radio Songs.jpg

For a quick track sample, try GOODBYE ASTRID, BOW RIVER or KHE SANH...

Last edited:
Next up...

Probably New Zealand's greatest ever ROCK/NEW WAVE/ECLECTIC band, SPLIT ENZ had a sound all of its own.

It's a tough pick, but despite solid flashes of brilliance elsewhere, I consider this to be their best overall album.

SPLIT ENZ
WAIATA

SPLIT ENZ Waiata (1981, AAD).jpg

Also released in Australia as: -

SPLIT ENZ
CORROBOREE

SPLIT ENZ Corroboree AU.jpg

For a quick track taste, don't miss IRIS, ONE STEP AHEAD or ALBERT OF INDIA...

[I probably should mention that fellow ENZer, NEIL FINN went on to even greater global fame with his subsequent band, CROWDED HOUSE. Still, I feel that some of his best work can be found right here. Subjective stuff...]

Last edited:
Next...

BROOKE FRASER
What to do with Daylight

Signed to a big, fat contract by SONY at the tender age of 18, Kiwi FRASER produced a simply outstanding debut.

With a collection of eclectic, self-written songs that could only be described as ADULT POP, this fine album immediately thrust FRASER onto the world mstage. Mileage will vary, but there really isn't a bad track on this album.

BROOKE FRASER What to do with Daylight.jpg

Pick any track... They're all great. But the styles across this album do vary greatly.

Whilst other great albums have followed, I suspect we will hear more from Ms. Fraser, once the early motherhood stage slides by. I hope so.

Last edited:
One more...

MEN AT WORK
BUSINESS AS USUAL
(1982)

or

MEN AT WORK
CARGO
(1983)

I know everyone has heard the (dreadfully) overexposed "DOWN UNDER", but there's much better in store here...

Truthfully, I could not pick between these two album. They are both killer!
And if you are lucky enough to get hold of an original VINYL LP, you'll find the analog recording quality is killer to boot!

(Songwriter and lead-singer, the Scottish-born COLIN HAY, is an absolute genius!)

MEN AT WORK Business As Usual.jpg

MEN AT WORK Cargo.jpg

New listeners, try DOWN BY THE SEA, OVERKILL, UNDERGROUND or WHO CAN IT BE NOW?...

Saul Goodman!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom