Aldi - take your own bags?

I have had such spotty luck with store brands at any store that I pretty much avoid them now. In some cases, with the right sales, coupons and "perks" rewards, I can find the name brands for sale at the same price. The one store brand I am familiar with, I know enough to buy what I can trust, and avoid the others.

I prefer Sav-A-Lot, but Aldi's has some good stuff. There cheese is good and there in house soups are also good. My main dislike is the fact that the store is laid out so that you must travel all aisles because there are no cross aisles.

I prefer Sav-A-Lot, but Aldi's has some good stuff. There cheese is good and there in house soups are also good. My main dislike is the fact that the store is laid out so that you must travel all aisles because there are no cross aisles.

That's odd. Not even at the ends of aisles can you skip to where you want to go? I also read somewhere that the layout is such that you have to go through the check-outs. Don't know if this is true for every Aldi.

I am starting to look forward to my first trip just for the sake of adventure. Kinda sad. Get your motor runnin'...head on down to Aldi....

That's odd. Not even at the ends of aisles can you skip to where you want to go? I also read somewhere that the layout is such that you have to go through the check-outs. Don't know if this is true for every Aldi.

I am starting to look forward to my first trip just for the sake of adventure. Kinda sad. Get your motor runnin'...head on down to Aldi....
to get out aldi here you need to pass the tills .. i just look for an empty till and jump over the gate . unless of course i want to buy something which is rare as aldi is in the wrong direction for me . if you do go to an empty till when they are busy that till will open up real soon .

I don't know about your Aldi's locations, but the ones around here have at least one cross aisle.

It has been at least 5 years since I moved from Orlando to Brooksville, which has no Aldi's. The nearest one from here is more than 20 miles; so I don't go there. If it was close, I would go there.

@MacNoob Geographic center of Canada, really? Wouldn't that be a fairly isolated location? Are you in Nunavut?

Sorry, I'm just a few KM from here, in southern Canada:

1.jpg

I'll update my profile!

You will save money, but the quarter to rent the cart is a PITA.
Well, if they're gonna do that, then...

In addition to my collapsable crate thing, I've often thought it'd be great to be able to run the cart up to the receiver hitch on the back of the car, slide in the bar, lever it up, and drive away. Maybe put on a stretchy waterproof cover for the trip. So no bagging, or un-bagging -- just leave with the cart and trade it back next time you're there. Roll it into the kitchen to stock in cabinets. Or, bring your own custom cart, configured for the crates...

Also thought about bringing empty extra crate. Then you place items in the proper crate when shopping, and check them thru a crate at a time, so everything comes out of your pre-sorted crate and goes into your extra empty crate. No 'fit' issues; the cashier can see how it is supposed to be packed, and things stay sorted.

I really should get a life. Or just order online and pick it up at the curb. Hard to select meat and produce that way, though.

Chip

You will also need a quarter to ransom a shopping cart.

We keep bags in the pocket behind the front seats and a quarter in the console

In Europe we use little "slugs" instead of Euro coins for the cart access & return. Never fails to work as intended and no lost slugs (or real money coins) to date.

As more EuroZone grocers materialize in The States, get used to the BYOB deal. Not really a hassle once you become enured to it, but in the early going you'll likely find yourself purchasing a few bags, else cafrting your haul out to your vehicle, tossing the lot @ the back seat, boot, hatchback boot, etc., and hauling it into the house. Actually keeping a box in the boot comes in pretty handy, especially for large (as in many bottlesof) wine purchases. IKEA bags make for excellent wine hauling gear, too. Just drop a small blanket into an IKEA bag to make a "soft" bed for the bottles, and toss in as many as 15-20 bottles without incident (i.e., breakage) during transport.

I'm in no way a food 'snob' at all, but was not impressed with what they have on offer. The meat in particular, IMHO, is to be avoided...

Full disclosure: Aldi is the one grocer here @ the EU that I do not visit. Experience w/ Aldi's 1970s invasion of Chicago and its environs left a sour taste in my mouth and I've not entered one of their stores since ~1972. But the many other "euro grocers", e.g., Lidl (German), Match(German) , Carrefour (French), E. Le Clerc (French) Cactus (Luxembourg), and Delhaize (Belgique) are, in different ways, quite good. The exception pour moi: Norma (Germany). Don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom