Alexa Pi

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by chicks, Jan 12, 2018.

1. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Voice control of your local media files with a Dot and Raspberry Pi? Sounds pretty cool. Jyst $5-$10/year. Cheap.

https://www.mymediaalexa.com

Any of you Pi guys want to try it and report back? Windows, Mac and Linux support, too.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

I saw this when I was looking for an alternative to the $25 plan I have with Amazon that matches my music. I will probably stick with that, but I would like to know if anyone is using it. It wouldn’t be bad to have a cheaper alternative that can run locally.

3. ldatlof

ldatlof We are all steak Subscriber

Configuring My Media for Alexa service...
    sed: -e expression #1, char 17: unterminated `s' command
    Starting My Media for Alexa service...
    Failed to start mymedia.service: Unit mymedia.service is masked

4. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

5. ldatlof

After installing and reinstalling it 5 or 6 times it finally worked!! It is now playing its sample music catalog. My music collection is stored on a different computer (linux) so I am still figuring out how point it to my .flac library (I tried one thing and went back to football). But I can report that it works on a RPi.

The MyMediaForAlexa app on the RPi uses 1% of one core of the CPU and 12.5% of 1GB of it's RAM.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    uofmtiger likes this.
  6. ldatlof

I like this app/skill so much I disabled it on the RPi and installed it on my Ubuntu server where my personal library resides. Installation went very smoothly as compared to the RPi. The only hiccup was that during the installation my user name wasn't populated in the systemctl service file. I added my user name to the service file and all was well. Works perfectly now. $5 well spent.

chicks likes this.

7. robgmn

robgmn Super Member

I recently heard of a skill called House Band that will integrate with JRiver Media Center.
    Gonna' give it a try this weekend..

8. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Does the Dot handle FLAC files ok? I notice Amazon doesn’t officially support them.

9. ldatlof

I have an Echo so I can't really say regarding the Dot but I would assume they are the same. The flac files play just fine but it requires transcoding. From the mymedia settings page:

I am not 100% sure what transcoding actually means.

chicks likes this.
  10. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

From another thread, we determined that the original Echo can play Radio Paradise in FLAC (with the RP skill), but the 2nd gen Dot can’t. Dunno about the other Echo devices, but it’s odd that Amazon would limit them.

11. ldatlof

My echo is only a month old. It doesn't seem to accept the flac bitrate even though is says it is an option. Ultra is as high as I can go.

12. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

The J River skill doesn’t play directly on the Echo. It will control what is playing from a computer running J River, though. I should mention that I haven’t tried connecting my computer to the Echo via Bluetooth, so that may be a workaround.