Alien: Covenant

Looking forward to it. I admit I have high expectations... hope not to be disappointed.

Saw it... and not so good. Sure the alien looks so cool and all. But geez.. how stupid that crew was. Half a dozen dummy things they did.

And the "android gone bad" theme... shit, there was two of 'em in this flick.

I re-watched the original 1979 Alien a couple nights back. THAT was a great film.

I think Covenant missed the boat. 3 out of 5 stars.

I'll give it 3 1/2 stars. I gotta agree with hnash on this, how many stupid things can one crew do, dumber than a bag 'o rocks. I'll still buy it on BR when it comes out. I really liked Prometheus, was hoping this movie would have more of that flavor to it, i.e., more cerebral. That was disappointing to me.

Both Alien and Aliens were tops in the series so far, with Prometheus coming in third.

I'll give it 3 1/2 stars. I gotta agree with hnash on this, how many stupid things can one crew do, dumber than a bag 'o rocks. I'll still buy it on BR when it comes out. I really liked Prometheus, was hoping this movie would have more of that flavor to it, i.e., more cerebral. That was disappointing to me.

Both Alien and Aliens were tops in the series so far, with Prometheus coming in third.

I liked Prometheus, too. Was hoping, like you, to get more info about them. Too bad the android wiped them all out. That just seemed too easy.

I wonder if Scott got cold feet, and made a less "cerebral" film. Prometheus, with only a little "plausible deniability" put forth the notion that God, who made us, was not quite what religious texts had in mind. If he kept running with his ruminations, John Lennon's quote about "The Beatles being more popular than Christ" would have been third page news. Funny though, 1968's, "2001: A Space Odyssey", along with the superb, "Quatermas and the Pit" (British studio, also 1968), also were about aliens bio-engineering Humans. Of course back then we didn't have "save humanity from Itself", brain-huggers like we do now.

I wonder if both the director and studio will have the balls to go back to where "Prometheus" seemed to be going. Come to think of it, maybe the studio forced Scott to stay away from the "Big Questions", because "The Covenant" really went nowhere since it was supposed to be part of a story arc. When a director wants to tell a story which has gone on for 48 real years, then he owes it to the "faithful".

I can't remember where exactly I read this, but it was in one review or another. Covenant was criticized because it was trying to play both sides to one audience. In other words, It (or Scott) was going for the action-oriented film with lots of xenomorph shots while at the same time trying to answer many of the questions left hanging in Prometheus, giving those of us that liked that movie our fix. The outcome was that neither audience was totally satisfied and critics and the general audience were a bit miffed. I really hope the next (final) prequel does not fall into this same trap, trying to be all things for all people.

I wonder if Scott got cold feet, and made a less "cerebral" film. Prometheus, with only a little "plausible deniability" put forth the notion that God, who made us, was not quite what religious texts had in mind. If he kept running with his ruminations, John Lennon's quote about "The Beatles being more popular than Christ" would have been third page news. Funny though, 1968's, "2001: A Space Odyssey", along with the superb, "Quatermas and the Pit" (British studio, also 1968), also were about aliens bio-engineering Humans. Of course back then we didn't have "save humanity from Itself", brain-huggers like we do now.

I wonder if both the director and studio will have the balls to go back to where "Prometheus" seemed to be going. Come to think of it, maybe the studio forced Scott to stay away from the "Big Questions", because "The Covenant" really went nowhere since it was supposed to be part of a story arc. When a director wants to tell a story which has gone on for 48 real years, then he owes it to the "faithful".
If you think about it though, Covenant follows this arc, but in a different way. David is the creation of man (his God), rebels, and becomes God himself, exterminating one species and engineering another.

If you think about it though, Covenant follows this arc, but in a different way. David is the creation of man (his God), rebels, and becomes God himself, exterminating one species and engineering another.

True enough, but notice that he uses a machine to play the part. Possibly Scott is using that as a "way out" so that he can slip past the crowd who would call him a, "heretic". Of course the language would be the a little different, but the intent would be the same. Our Society hasn't Really gotten past "witch-hunting", we call it "PC" now. That said, my intent isn't to stir up any kind of Societal arguments, this post pertains to the movie. :angel:

I can't remember where exactly I read this, but it was in one review or another. Covenant was criticized because it was trying to play both sides to one audience. In other words, It (or Scott) was going for the action-oriented film with lots of xenomorph shots while at the same time trying to answer many of the questions left hanging in Prometheus, giving those of us that liked that movie our fix. The outcome was that neither audience was totally satisfied and critics and the general audience were a bit miffed. I really hope the next (final) prequel does not fall into this same trap, trying to be all things for all people.

Very true. He played too much for the teenage crowd. The movie could have been shot with way less special effects and with a different plot. I wonder if special effects have now gotten cheaper by hiring unknown actors who can't, and hiring script writers who also, can't.....

Haven't seen it yet, but Prometheus started out wrong with the humanoid cell shedding thing. Some extraterrestrial creature jumps over a falls and his cells begin the humans? No, they would have decayed, and what about the hominoid lines and what we have determined is the source of modern humans? I recall other things that do not fit well with me. But some things are logical and interesting.

Haven't seen it yet, but Prometheus started out wrong with the humanoid cell shedding thing. Some extraterrestrial creature jumps over a falls and his cells begin the humans? No, they would have decayed, and what about the hominoid lines and what we have determined is the source of modern humans? I recall other things that do not fit well with me. But some things are logical and interesting.

The "premise" is that the drink which tore him apart was a DNA splitter/accelerant which ultimately produced man. I'm definitely not qualified to get past the idea, the takeaway is that Mankind was bio-engineered. Something that I've never seen discussed is that bio-engineering idea was the premise of "2001:A Space Odyssey", as well as, "Quatermss and the Pit", (British name), aka, "Five Million Years to Earth". Both movies came out circa 1968, the later one being washed out by Kubrick's masterpiece. IMO, the concept is best expressed in the "Q&P". I like the out of the box thinking, although Ridley Scott is a bit obtuse and doesn't know what to do with the idea, which is very apparent in "Covenant". Well perhaps someone will be able to in the next installment.

Last edited:
The "premise" is that the drink which tore him apart was a DNA splitter/accelerant which ultimately produced man. I'm definitely not qualified to get past the idea, the takeaway is that Mankind was bio-engineered. Something that I've never seen discussed is that bio-engineering idea was the premise of "2001:A Space Odyssey", as well as, "Quatermss and the Pit", (British name), aka, "Five Million Years to Earth". Both movies came out circa 1968, the later one being washed out by Kubrick's masterpiece. IMO, the concept is best expressed in the "Q&P". I like the out of the box thinking, although Ridley Scott is a bit obtuse and doesn't know what to do with the idea, which is very apparent in "Covenant". Well perhaps someone will be able to in the next installment.
My ex-biology teacher friend calls this bioengineering process recombinant DNA, I think...though he works religion into the idea.

Back
Top Bottom