Aligning Cartage with Overhang gauge, Getting High end distortion

xxtensazenxx

First off:
Turntable: Technics SL-23
Cartage: Pickering XSV 3000

I started vinyl a few years ago with a humble Audio Technica LP-60, which is quickly outgrew. So I upgraded to what I have now, A Technics SL-23. I had to get it repaired so I never bothered with Aligning or tracking force, I just left it how the AV shop guy did... But I wanted to learn, so I went to re-setting the table. So Suffice it to say I'm a bit of a newbie so please bear with me.

Tracking force was easy, but I'm stuck on Aligning it... I tried the Stevenson protractor, but I was struggling... so I bought an original Technics 52mm Overhang gauge (which after research on the forum I found I was good to use it). I got my needle lined up pretty good I think?
bunEgUb.jpg

But im now getting A LOT of distortion on the higher end, and S's....

I never had this issue before....

I then realized the cartage is not really centered (if that makes a difference) and no matter how hard I tried it just would not. The... clamps? "plastic bits", whatever they're called, that mount the cartage to the shell keep moving and going crooked when I tighten the screws. Is this normal?
gDS2xdL.jpg

So at this point I really dont know what to do...What do you guys think my best course of action is?
Also any suggestions for a new turntable? lol

Thanks so much in advanced

I have been through all that.
In the end (after much research and hours reading various forums) I bought a Mo Fi Geo Disc.
Should have done that years ago.
I am not going to go through the details but look it up and see what you think.

I have the MoFi Geodisc. Just installed a SoundSmith Aida cartridge. First install I ever did. Scared the Hell out of me, but it worked. I have since tried other protractors to tweak things, and can't better the Geodisc. Pretty simple thing, but it works.

the technics overhang gauge and Stevenson protractor are very close if not the same. on my technics tables i set the overhang with the technics gauge then fine tune it on the Stevenson protractor to get it lined up right, usually very little adjustment is needed.

You need to set it up so that the tip of the diamond is at the tip of the jig. Your picture it looks like you are a mm or 2 long. Also, the cartridge needs to be parallel to the sides of the headshell. You are going to have to eyeball that one. I usually install 1 screw, get everything lined up and tighten that screw some. Then I add the final screw, re-check everything and tighten both screws.

Hope that helps a bit.

I had a Grado Black that i couldn't get centered in a slotted headshell, using the Technics gauge on an SL-1700Mk2. The way that the top face of the cartridge around the screw holes interacted with the slots, when I tried to tighten the screws the cartridge would shift over to the right or left. The only solution that worked for me was to mount the cartridge on a different headshell.

i agree your set up is a little long the diamond tip should be even with the end of the gauge. My thought is are you sure that is a genuine D3000 stylus? A real one will say D3000 on the top and have small raised PC in a circle on the front or side and they are usually black I have never seen a white one but thats not to say they never made it in white. My other question is the cantilever diameter seems alot bigger than one on a 3000. I'm wondering if it's not a aftermarket stylus. Some are good, most I belive are not .You didn't say what tracking force you were using, for the 3000 it's about 1 to 1 1/4 gms if it's aftermarket it could be anything over 2gms. You will have to experiment to find the right VTF. I have a XSV 3000 and VTF is about 1 1/8 gms on a technics sl 1700 mk2 it's great cart.Good Luck

That's not the original and is a pfanstiehl, it needs to be tracked at about 1.75 to 2 grams until broken in then back off the weight

The turntable is not the issue either, it's the installation. Do each screw a little bit, move to the other side, and go back and forth. Once square in the sled and done with the protractor see the above comment in weight the table is a very good one from technics for their belt driives.

You could also try leaving of the little mounting blocks and attaching the ears directly to the headshell, but that might result in a ground loop.

That's not the original and is a pfanstiehl, it needs to be tracked at about 1.75 to 2 grams until broken in then back off the weight
Some years ago, I got a Pickering XV15 on a turntable. Since I had heard good things about the cartridge, I bought a pfansteihl to try it out. Never could eliminate sibilance, even with fiddling with alignment and tracking. Granted, I only used it for a few days. Perhaps it needs a break-in? Went back to my Ortofon. I may have had better success with a genuine pickering stylus, but wasn't interested in parting with the coin, as my Ortofon is very satisfying.

The moral: It may be that your aftermarket stylus is not up to snuff, or as stated above, needs break-in even with proper alignment/tracking.

I have had success with other aftermarket, inexpensive stylus on other cartridges (like the EVG on my Shure). I also read online that pfansteihl performance varies by model, etc.

azimuth? Like neither channel is more or less predominant,they sound pretty equal to me. and any idea how I would center it?
It both
azimuth? Like neither channel is more or less predominant,they sound pretty equal to me. and any idea how I would center it?

If both channels sound equal its probably close enough. It can be centered using an O scope or something called a Fazo meter and maybe other ways that I don't know about. You can also eyeball it from the front and get it very close if the head shell has a way to adjust it.

Hope this helps

Thanks everyone for the support, and I tried most of the suggestions but it just wont work, and I was trying to find a way to put it into words but This hit the nail on the head
I had a Grado Black that i couldn't get centered in a slotted headshell, using the Technics gauge on an SL-1700Mk2. The way that the top face of the cartridge around the screw holes interacted with the slots, when I tried to tighten the screws the cartridge would shift over to the right or left. The only solution that worked for me was to mount the cartridge on a different headshell.
That is my exact issue. No matter what I try it just shimmys out of the perfect position I have.... been working on it for hours...
Do you know what would be a good headshell to get? Or will I have the same issue in another one because the mount is the actual cartage?

i agree your set up is a little long the diamond tip should be even with the end of the gauge. My thought is are you sure that is a genuine D3000 stylus? A real one will say D3000 on the top and have small raised PC in a circle on the front or side and they are usually black I have never seen a white one but thats not to say they never made it in white. My other question is the cantilever diameter seems alot bigger than one on a 3000. I'm wondering if it's not a aftermarket stylus. Some are good, most I belive are not .You didn't say what tracking force you were using, for the 3000 it's about 1 to 1 1/4 gms if it's aftermarket it could be anything over 2gms. You will have to experiment to find the right VTF. I have a XSV 3000 and VTF is about 1 1/8 gms on a technics sl 1700 mk2 it's great cart.Good Luck

It is not :O i did not know that would make a difference! I have the Pfanstiehl 4608-DEX. Also I was using a tracking force of 1-1.5 grams,

xxten It makes a big difference what stylus is on it. Nothing is going to sound as good as the original.The 4608 dex I am not familiar with but is on the lower end.It might never sound good, always sibilant. You can try increasing the VTF in 1/4 gm increments until it sounds the best. This will probably end up in the 2 to 3 gm area or higher. Not knowing your budget it's hard to recommend something. At LPGear their vivid line are getting pretty good reviews. You could also do a search here or start a new thread asking the best after market stylus for the 3000 that way you would get people who have tried different ones and have more knowledge. Good luck Almost forgot you must get it properly mounted first

Back
Top Bottom