All vintage AR, Phase Linear, Technics, Thorens, Lyra

I love that room and how you have your gear set up. It just looks right.

And what L-82 was referring to about your records being "wrapped", it looks like you have some kind of white bags or something covering them. I too am curious what that is.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Regarding what "L-82" was asking, I wasn't sure how to answer but, the white bags are what I used to carry my massive vinyl collection in my new home from the last place I was living in. The store bags enabled me
carry about 30 disks at a time and if I was caught in the rain we were having, at least I had some protection for them.

Last edited:
A very interesting combination of gear. I have often pondered the Phase Linear rabbit hole but it's getting harder and harder to find the PL-700 Series II in good shape at a price that does not approach scary. I see White Oak models selling for thousands. I finally gave up and stuck with my rebuilt Carver M500t amps. You have some serious cash tied up in cartridges as well. That's probably where I am headed next. These never any telling what cartridge is going to "do it" for a person. I have looked at the Delos and the price tag has kept me mostly reading about it. I have re-read your list 2-3 times. It's something to be proud of. Most of what you have is rare, if available at all. When I seriously got back into vinyl, back in 2002 I looked for the mythical Technics SL-120 and everything I found was trash. Very few good/mint examples left out there. SME 3009 arms alone are a treasure. I am currently looking for a pair of AR 9's local ... every once in a while I see a pair but most need love. I'm running out of patience in my old age. That being said, I am a soft dome guy and the Acoustic Research AR-LST must be a treasure. I'm holding out for the AR-9's or possibly the A/D/S 990's. It may never happen at this point.

You have what appears to be a nice sized room ... that really makes the system. Your system has really hit home for me, I wish I had the space and the means to put something like it together. Imagine what that would take now? Feel free to post more pics, for me to slobber over.

Thanks for sharing

Hi SPEC2man, this might be one of the last systems I put together so, I had to make it what I had in my mind after all these years of dreaming.
Though I have one more system already in the works, the one pictured is my crowning-glory after 45+ years of using AR speakers. Incidentally, system #2 includes AR-9's and a singular PL700 Series Two amplifier
for power. I had originally tried using two PL-400s in bi-amp mode but, I didn't feel satisfied with that configuration's sound for some odd reason unbeknownst to me still. I just felt the PL-400's ran out of steam the same way they did when I originally used them with the LST's.

Regarding the Delos, for me, it's the best cartridge I've used to date, hands down. It's costlier big brother the Kleos, is with-out doubt excellent also but, it just lacks the 'bass-slam' and exuberance and 'balls-to-the-walls' powerful rendition the Delos displays on most disks. The

Kelos also offers a slightly more controlled interpretation than the Delos does, though similar in many other regards. One of its many qualities of the Delos is it's also the quietest cartridge I've used to date. I chose the Delos and Kleos as they both have a reputation of being very quiet and since I use many disks that may have around the block often enough, they are to me the best answer for most disks.
The SL-120's are pure pleasure to use and I feel are worth much more than what they sell for, although lately on the auction site, they've gone up in price measurably.

My love for the AR-LST speakers is immeasurable and is to the point of insanity and has been of total surrender to their greatness (they were considered the greatest speakers in the world by many at one time) as I feel very 'right,aka correct in my 45 years of audio-stuff loving. And, any guests who hear this system are usually in disbelief and the same for me as I continually please myself using them for all this while now.
In the early '70s I started with AR-3a's however, there is simply no comparison by any stretch of the two speaker types.

I sincerely wish we could enjoy a listening session with you as my guest.
In terms of the "WOPL" mods, they seem like a great final step in keeping these amps operating. Though I've read on-line anyway, that some feel the amp is so changed that only the face-plate and chassis is what remains as the driver board and back-plates are changed and consequently so does their original sound-quality change also, or so I wonder. I've inquired about there being any change to the original sound quality with some folks, which is something I've also enjoyed since the early '70s and some say the sound does change, while others are mute about such matters, who really knows?

I could going on for hours but, I better go listen now to what I speak of.
And yes, I am very proud and pleased with what was a 'dream-system' for me for many decades before I finally put it all together. I saved, I hoarded components, hunted for bargains. I read as much as I could find to be sure that my history of all these years was correct, and thank goodness, I was.
Inside of me, I always knew that this system would be the best I could or would ever ask for and consequently won't care for another system no matter who says or thinks or feels would be better. Though I have a AR-9 system in the works to rival the above mentioned system with similar components.

Again, I thank you SPEC2man and everyone for your appreciation and recognition for what I have accomplished here and dreamed about for many years. I wish you luck in your efforts in assembling what your dream-system will be.
FM

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom