Allan Holdsworth has died, R.I.P.

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
http://teamrock.com/news/2017-04-16/allan-holdsworth-dead-at-70

Allan Holdsworth, the groundbreaking British guitarist, has died unexpectedly, aged 70.

The news was broken by his daughter's Louise on her Facebook page earlier this evening. In a short statement she said: "It is with heavy hearts that we notify everyone of the passing of our beloved father. We would appreciate privacy and time while we grieve the loss of our dad, grandad, friend and musical genius. We will update close friends and family when service arrangements have been made and will notify the public of an open memorial service, which all would be welcome. We are undeniably still in shock with his unexpected death and cannot begin to put into words the overwhelming sadness we are experiencing. He is missed tremendously. Louise, Sam, Emily & Rori."

Holdsworth rose to prominence with the prog band 'Igginbottom, who released their sole album, 'Igginbottom's Wrench in 1969. After stints with early prog bands Nucleus and Tempest he later would work with Soft Machine, Tony Williams' Lifetime, Gong, Jean-Luc Ponty and Bill Bruford. He was an original member of the prog band U.K. alongside Bruford, John Wetton and Eddie Jobson, but left following their 1978 debut album.

Although Velvet Darkness was released in 1976, Holdsworth did not recognise it as an official release, so 1982's I.O.U. was what he viewed as his debut solo outing. His solo work has recently been the subject of a box set, The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever, and a compilation CD Eidolon: The Allan Holdsworth Collection, both released on manifesto Records. As a guitarist he was cited by the likes of Eddie Van Hlaen, Joe Satriani, Alex Lifeson and John Petrucci as a major influence, while Mahavishnu Orchestra guitarist John McLaughlin once said of him: "I'd steal everything Allan was doing, if only I could figure out what the heck it was that he was doing."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Holdsworth

Yes indeed, very sad news...he left us the great gift of music. I have been very fortunate to see AH perform a number of times over the last 20 or so years. He had some health problems of late.

Truly a giant, and a unique pioneer in his analog and digital guitar explorations.

RIP AH

I read an interview with Eddie Van Halen a few years ago where EVH said Holdsworth was his favorite guitarist.

I saw him with the New Tony WIlliams Lifetime at a place in DC called The Childe Harold,
and a little later at Painters Mill Music Fair (Owings Mill, MD) with UK, warming up for Al Dimeola

I read an interview with Eddie Van Halen a few years ago where EVH said Holdsworth was his favorite guitarist.
It's not much of an exaggeration to say that EVH was largely responsible for the existence of Holdworth's later career. Eddie got Holdsworth the Warner contract that got his solo career off the ground after the self-released IOU had trouble finding an audience.

Yeah, I bought Road Games when I read EVH raving about him.

Definitely not everyone's cup of tea but also definitely a beast and a half on the guitar.

RIP, Mr. Holdsworth.

Holdsworth himself hated Velvet Darkness and didn't authorize its release, but it's actually not bad at all.

This is awful news, very sad to hear this :(

I'll never forget when my buddy turned me on to Soft Machine "Bundles" when it first came out. I borrowed his copy and recorded it on my Tandberg 64, an amazing album that totally blew my mind. Listened to it over and over again and slowly built up the Holdsworth section of my album collection from there.

RIP Mr. Holdsworth

Yep...

We boomers are dying off right and left, at least he made it to 70 years of age, most in the business are not living so long.

RIP....

Yep...

We boomers are dying off right and left, at least he made it to 70 years of age, most in the business are not living so long.

RIP....
63060584.jpg

Flawless technique combined with passion for the unorthodox. Flawless technique we all only hope to achieve. Flawless techinque unlocked every scale. Flawless technique is why the pupil came to the master, almost every lick since 79 has been hammered, tapped ,pulled on or off. A master player that will have us searching for the next closest thing to perfection. Mile High Shred says Goodbye

First noted his talent on Bill Bruford's , "Feels Good to Me". I'm going to see if I have "Bundles" but if not, I've got to buy it tonight.

A sad day, indeed. Yet another reminder that we should all enjoy the limited days we all have.

First noted his talent on Bill Bruford's , "Feels Good to Me". I'm going to see if I have "Bundles" but if not, I've got to buy it tonight.

A sad day, indeed. Yet another reminder that we should all enjoy the limited days we all have.
Also try Gong's Gazeuse (aka Expresso).

No affiliation, but I thought some might be interested ...

I just got the weekly flier from the Schizoid Shop (King Crimson/Fripp, etc.)
and saw they are offering a 12 CD Holdsworth box set for $105

Allan Holdsworth ‎– The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever! (Box Set)
12 CD Set. All albums have been digitally re-mastered from the original tapes and some contain unreleased bonus material.

The first definitive Allan Holdsworth Box Set collection ever chronicling the important and influential solo albums in Allan’s nearly 50 year career.

Additional bonus tracks on Wardenclyffe Tower and
The Sixteen Men Of Tain.

Includes beautiful high quality packaging and 40 page booklet with
extensive liner notes and archival photos

Contains the following albums:
1 I.O.U. (Complete Album: 1982)
2 Road Games (Complete Album: 1983)
3 Metal Fatigue (Complete Album: 1985)
4 Atavachron (Complete Album: 1986
5 Sand (Complete Album: 1987)
6 Secrets (Complete Album: 1989)
7 Wardenclyffe Tower (Complete Album: 1992)
8 Hard Hat Area (Complete Album: 1993)
9 None Too Soon (Complete Album: 1996)
10 The Sixteen Men Of Tain (Complete Album: 2000)
11 Flat Tire (Complete Album: 2001)
12 Then! (Complete Album: 2003)

http://shop.schizoidshop.com/allan-holdsworth--the-man-who-changed-guitar-forever-box-set-p1664.aspx

Back
Top Bottom