Allegro Sound- dealer review

VinylFan62

Has anyone done business with Allegro Sound in California? If so, can you post your experience? I'm interested in buying from them but the process is unusual. That always concerns me.
Mike

Rick Katz is a good guy. He’s very specific and likes stuff done his way, but that doesn’t mean his gear isn’t as good as he says it is. I’ve known him for 15 years or longer and have done several deals with him.

I appreciate the response. You mention his gear is good. That is part of my concern. He won't state what kind of condition his used equipment is in. At AllegroSound you buy the equipment first and then he inspects and test it before shipping. See the website for details if you think I am wrong. This is the second time I have tried to buy from him and its the same both times. I recently asked about the condition of an amp I would like to buy. His exact response was: "it will be re-inspected, re-formed & re-auditioned prior to packing/shipping to ensure it is working and sounding as good as it has in the past". I don't even know what that means. Re-formed? I'm lost on that one. I can't make an offer or know what the value is on an item if all I get is a picture and a strange statement about inspection after the purchase.
Let me add that his response listed above came after I had to jump through some serious hoops. You call the phone number listed on the website. It tells you to leave a message with your TEXT phone number. It repeats that "text only" instruction twice. I did that and he sent me a text saying I should respond to him via his email address. Did you follow that? You leave a voicemail with your text number so Rick can send you a text message that says use the email address that's already posted on his website next to the phone number. So, I did that, and asked about the condition of the amp and he sent the above statement.
I like that you bought gear from Rick and I hope others respond with positive information. How did you know what you were getting before you purchased it. Did you visit the shop (if there is one)?
Thanks for responding.
Mike

Re formed for him means brought up slowly on a variac.
Yes he doesn’t much like speaking on the phone, and has always had a lot of tire kickers (because he has some pretty desirable stuff) so I mean it’s really hard to make a call on his system style there.
Like I said above, he likes stuff done his way. Nothing has changed there.
About condition, everything I purchased was (ultimately) explained fully and I had photos sent to me.
I’ve never seen his place, but my friend did when he was in Cali, I think it’s in his house.
So the bottom line is, this is really about your comfort level. Yeah he’s “different” to deal with. Ultimately the gear is good.

Back
Top Bottom