Allied 333 am/fm tube receiver

Shain

I just got a Allied 333 tube receiver. Works really nice, and the unit is pretty clean inside and out. Has the "cats eye" tuning "meter"

Nothing appears to be broken or missing.

I've never had any Allied stuff. I did a few internet searches, but found nothing. It must be an early 60's unit.

Anyone know about this receiver?

Hi Shain,

SixCats! here. I also own a Allied 333 which I bought at a yard sale a couple of years ago for $5.00 Mine is NOT pretty but does work...however...it has a bit of hummmmmm which I can not stand. I do not want to spend money to replace (what ever) needs to be replaced as this unit has other issues and not worth investing money to correct it's problems. That being said...I sure understand why folks get excited about TUBE gear...from the moment I heard the unit...there is just something MAGICAL about the TUBE sound. I can only imagine how a SERIOUS tube set up must sound. Allied by the way (if I understand correctly) became Radio Shack. I hope your 333 is in better shape than mine and that it brings you much pleasure. SixCats!

Last edited:
I took a couple of pixs. This little devil is clean! Everything seems to work, stereo light, "cats eye", etc.

All the lettering is there and real good, back panel looks clean too. It will handle 16 or 8 ohm speakers.
I tried a CD player to the aux and it sounded super. \

$25 for it, .....too good to pass up. All the guy had was a pair of head phones to test it, but I could tell the FM stereo worked, no hum, etc.

I just may keep this until I get the Sansui 1000A I have coming.

Last edited:
Not hardly a scratch!

Inside is very nice too. Looks it must not have been used much at all. Must have been kept in dry and clean storage.

Hi Shain,

Good luck with your Sansui 1000. Man...I missed out on a nice Sansui 1000 a little while back. The unit was for sale (at a GOOD price) at a local used gear store but...I was "late to the party" and someone had already put a deposit on it. Oh well...
Keep us posted. SixCats!

Hi there Shain,
That receiver looks almost identical to a Pioneer SX-34 that I had up until recently, with the same front layout and general appearance... is the 16/8 ohm setting selected via a switch on the back?
The Pioneer was definitely a really nice-sounding unit, although not the most powerful, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15wpc IIRC.
I loved listening to it on headphones at night with the lights out, just the glow of the dial and the magic eye lighting the room...a very calming effect I must say!
For $25 I think you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it!
Cheers,
-Paul

I'm not familair with the Pioneer. (I've never had an Allied before for that matter)

Yes, it has a small slider switch on the back panel. Near the bottom, center.

Has screw speaker terminals, etc, like all the 60's stuff.

IF anyone has some specs on the 333, let me know.
It's not in orion. I haven't found anything doing a brief web search.

I may use this as a bedroom unit for now, and change out my Marantz 2015.

Last edited:
This receiver was listed in the 1970 Allied catalog. Most of the equipment in this catalog was solid state, but some of the "bargain-price" models were tube-type.

Hi Shain,

I sent you a PM a few days ago and I am not sure if my PM is working. Did you receive my PM to you about the Allied 333?
SixCats!

Back
Top Bottom