Almarro A205A single-ended integrated tube amplifier

God damn I would love to get in on trying this amp but the cross border BS makes it unfeasible. :cry:

Mike

Thank you so much for the very well though out review of the amp. There is a very strong possibilty that the harshness I heard when paired with the Altecs coincides with the source problem revealings you speak of. This amp may have jsut revealed poor recordings that were otherwise glossed over by my equipment.

Well Ski- that's the great thing about allowing these demos! The system integration really determines how an item will fit you. No matter what anyone else says about a unit, only you can determine if you like how it performs in your environment.

Quite frankly the A205 has left me with a conundrum. I was thinking about getting a SET amp just to play with, something along the lines of the $600 300b that is on AGon. The A205 has so many of the 'audiophile' qualities I've read about that, now that I've heard it, I'm afraid the bar is set too high to enjoy others. I was just captivated by its abilities.

Oh, I can see it now...Reyneman listening only to the acceptable types of music, discussing only those recordings of exceptional merit, never again enjoying 60s and 70s pop... :lmao:

Of course, if it has the same qualities, I bet the 318 would drive the Audio Notes or the Living Voices....hmmm... :yes: :no:

Last edited:
The Almarro is now back in Mid-Michigan...Again!!...must be the climate!!...

It arrived today from Ray...made the trip very well..as nothing was out of place...but how could it be.....it was packed like it was goin for a tank ride through the war zone.... Couldnt ask for better packing!.... :thmbsp:

I took it out of its wrapper ...and set it out on the floor in front of the rest of the system...so it can adjust to its surroundings before I fire the ole' girl up!!!....maybe in a day or two...

I called up Darren AKA 'Drybasement' to come over and enjoy it with me...so when I hear back from him we will set up a listening session....maybe even give Botrytis a 'holler' to see if he would like to hear it again...seein' how he didn't want to part with it in the first place!

Well Brians' wish of a review of it drivin' Klipsch is finally a reality!!!!!!Wish he could be here to enjoy it too.....maybe next year!!!

More to come......... :beatnik:

Last edited:
Okay, Reel, I'm just dying to know - what do you think of the little Almarro thus far? :)

Yup...your rite.....and I have to admit..the A205A is a fantastic little( I say that for its size not for its heart!)....
Now ...I'm not the best reviewer...and I could never come close to Daves and Ray's reviews...which pretty much summed up everything I want to say.......But

At first I was amazed at how small it was...when it showed up I was reely excited to get to playin with it...but I just let it sit here over nite to get aclaimated to the temperature in the room...After bein' out in the cold for a day or two....then Darren (Drybasement) came over to enjoy the first listening session with me..

We started out first listening to my system..just to get things started.....threw on some 'Al DiMiola' and some 'Struntz and Farah'..both some fingerblistering guitar work... Then I pulled things apart ...to hook up the Almarro and found that the recessed output jacks were a real inconveinence..for I use bare wire ..and I also noticed that there were holes in the jacks also...but you could never get any pins into them...so I just had to strip more off and try to wrap them around them ..it worked but not as good as I wouldave liked....

Finally got things rolling...and used the output from the computer..playing MP3s....through my processor loop...
We started with some Soulive..a mix of acoustic and electric jazz fusion..and the sound was lacking in the bottom end...and also just a hint of shimmer...which was attributed to just being fired up...as time went by..the amp setteled down and just came to life. The bottom end opened up to shake with the best of them and all shimmer was gone...We both did notice a brightness in the 4k reigon...but nothing that couldn't be delt with with the EQ...dropped the slider to -4 and smoothened right out...

Then we moved on and spun some Swingle Singers..The theme to Mission Impossible and the voices were crisp and clean...and no caffene!!.......and the dynamics were amazing........

As we listened to more and more different stuff..we could really tell the differences in the recordings..from one tune to the next...It was so articulate you could hear the differences in the room acoustics of the recording studio....and the hand of the recording engineer....then put on some CDs...direct ...no MP3s....and there was little difference in the sound...maybe a little less dynamic but a little warmer.. but that could be attributed to the lack of the bass managment that the processing gave....

I must also admit how little power is really needed to get volume levels up where a SS amp would be doing 5 times as much.

in closing..I would defenatly recommend the A205A to anybody who wants acuracy and the ease of use..but I would also like to see a few little improvments in updates to this amp..in the jacks in the back..and some other inputs for tape loop...and like the others said...a phono preamp....

I would also like to thank The Great Dr.Evil..(a.k.a... Brian).for his generosity in letting 'Ak' members the opperatunity(sp) to listen to this amp...

Hmmmm....some great reviews, any of you work for a magazine or something?
Brian, hope you are still sending equipment around when my kids get a little older and I can find time to just sit and listen. Excuse me, I gotta get busy building my garage,(it's really a listening room with tools, just don't tell my wife or kids). :yes: Bob

A very nice review, Reel - and now we know that the Almarro does indeed get along with Klipsch speakers!

As far as the recessed output terminals go, I have found that banana plugs offer the greatest ease of use with this unit...

The Almarros DO mate well with the Klipsch and I do mean Almarros because I did get the 318 and I am currently playing it through Heresy's. BrianB a friend of mine has a pair of Klipschorns and I took the 318 to his place and WOW :thmbsp: Guess what is next on my wish list? The klipschhorns have a fullness in the midrange that the Heresy's just don't have. Anyone know where I can get a pair of Klipschorns in the Rocky mountain region?

Patrick

Yup, and I had your review in mind as well when I wrote the above, Patrick - the Almarro is now two for two with Klipsch speakers!

Please do keep us posted regarding your experiences with the A318A. Also, how do you like the sound of your new Almarro as compared with the smaller A205A?

Cheers,
Brian

I might as well throw my hat into the Almarro Demo ring also, I'm already using a 15wpc tube amp setup and am curious how this would compare. Not that I can afford one right now, but it give me a great indication what I'm missing.

My 2 cents on tube recommendations:

Soviet military 7189's (e-bay through a friend of mine), and a nice little Magnavox 12AX7(my friend and I went through my collection of 12AX7's and picked this one out strictly on sound(all were previously checked on tube checker).

The Soviet 7189's sound good even before burning the tubes in.

Strong point of the Almorro A-205 is the midrange clarity. Sometimes can be bright but I enjoy it anyways. I would recommend a sub for some folks who need more on the bottom octaves.

I am running JBL D123(12") with 075 bullet tweeter and N2400 crossover.

Ron

Okay, there are now two or three more AK members who'd like to demo the Almarro A205A - please give me another day or two to come up with a reasonable audition schedule.

In the meantime, please note that Almarro has just upgraded the A205A in the following ways (with no increase in price):

1) The inputs and outputs on the back are no longer recessed, and are therefore much more accessible.

2) The AC cord is now detachable.

3) A headphone jack has been added.

Hi Reel,

Do you still have the Almarro A205A? If so, the amp should go to Andyman in Michigan next. I can send you his address if you need it...

Thanks again,
Brian

Yes Brian..I still have it ..

Andy asked me to hold it for a couple days for the fire mess to get cleaned up...but ..I do have his address ..and just waitin for the word GO!!.....

I cant blame him for not wanting to bring it into such a hostile environment...

Whoa, I had no idea that there had been a fire! Geez, Andy, what happened? Is everybody okay?

Sorry about any fires up there! Its not like you can really air things out when it is cold.

Well I saw and listened to Almarro in 2 rooms in Las Vegas. I asked to have the SE 6BQ5 put in to give it a listen (CDs only, no vinyl). I will have pics and comments up in a thread soon. I came back with a cold or some other virus and am just now getting over it.

By the way Almarro Line got the Dave Thatcher Best Bang For The Buck Award and I got pics etc to share.

Sure wish I could have been there this year!

So, Thatch, what did you think of the Marigo Audio Labs / Tyler Acoustics / Almarro room?

Tyler Acoustics makes good speakers and had some huge line arrays that sounded exellent. Ray was with me and we checked everything out, asked smart sounding questions and made a general pain of ourselves. I think Ray likes Tyler for some reason.

Well back on topic, the SE 6BQ5 we saw there had the resessed BPs etc, we got it hooked to the M2A speakers and I thought it sounded much better than the A50125A amp with the 8 6550s which had made the bass sound quite bloated. All in all I thought the A205A was a better sounding amp on these speakers it being a case where too much power was not a good thing as far as the speakers were concerned. The listening room wasn't very good and I think the only time the A205A was hooked up was for Ray and I with the big 8 6550 amp being showcased. The same amp down the hall actually showed better on the Tyler Acoustics which I guess aren't near as efficient as the Almarros.

BrianB said:
Whoa, I had no idea that there had been a fire! Geez, Andy, what happened? Is everybody okay?

We are fine, but the garage contents got totalled by the smoke and heat. There is also smoke damage throughout the house. Wound up filling 2 30 yard dumpsters with stuff. Tomorrow the structure folks will tear out the drywall in the garage and the flooring in the attic so the adjuster can fully assess the damages and authorize repairs.

Here's a link to a thread I started with pics:

Fire Thread

We are staying here during the restoration, and although it may be awkward, it sure beats packing out to a hotel with the 2 kids, semi-invalid father-in-law and 70 pound dog.

Thanks for asking; everyone here has been great :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom