Altec 414z enclosure guidance

Fantastic Earl. It would be so helpful if I had even a clue. Well, if nothing else, I do have the passion! Thank you.

Fantastic Earl. It would be so helpful if I had even a clue. Well, if nothing else, I do have the passion! Thank you.
Dude, you've got this. If I can do this kind of thing, anyone with an interest and some some time can too. Despite the shortcomings of my diy Altecs, they are (far) superior to any other "hi-fi" speaker I've heard or owned. This includes a long list of high $$ hi-fi cred speakers I've owned and lived with, including the Harbeth Compact 7es3, Acoustic Zen Adagio, Spendor Classic 2/3, and as many others I forget. There is a sense of realism Altecs convey that surpasses just about anything I've heard. Keep us posted on your progress!

Dude, you've got this. If I can do this kind of thing, anyone with an interest and some some time can too. Despite the shortcomings of my diy Altecs, they are (far) superior to any other "hi-fi" speaker I've heard or owned. This includes a long list of high $$ hi-fi cred speakers I've owned and lived with, including the Harbeth Compact 7es3, Acoustic Zen Adagio, Spendor Classic 2/3, and as many others I forget. There is a sense of realism Altecs convey that surpasses just about anything I've heard. Keep us posted on your progress!

Your humility is noteworthy! Don't ever change. My obstacles include the cost of woodworking and the fact that I am no carpenter, and this is no false modesty, it is TRUTH! About the only thing I can make out of wood is splinters. I have all the drivers, horns and crossovers necessary for an Altec 19 clone build. Two more things on the agenda are a relatively inexpensive Altec Malibu version (which is what you have been kind enough to assist in) and eventually subwoofer enclosures. I have 2 JBL 2245 18" Woofers and 4 JBL 2242HPL 18" Woofers that I need to decide what to do and where to put which ones. Regarding the Model 19 builds, being on the East Coast, I have never even SEEN a Model 19, so the only way I can determine which speakers possess more realism is to build the 19s and A/B them against my VERY natural and realistic sounding JBL 4435s. I have also had various conventional type speakers and a couple of pairs of Magnepans. Thus far, the JBLs are King, though I know that there is a possibility that these brand new Alnico drivers and crossovers for the 19 could very well dethrone them.

Familiar with JJ Cale?

They'll really shine on albums like "Naturally" or "Troubadour", he did his own engineering and mixdowns, felt that vocals should not be out front, but rather deeply immersed so as to draw you into the music more completely. I think good Altecs illustrate his concept very well.

If i had a "hero" in rock n roll, it would be this man.

If you;re not familiar, let me introduce you to the "Tulsa sound".

I find his music on Altecs to be as habit forming as cocaine.

Bowtie, looking over this dead thread you reminded me that I’ve got to get all the essential JJ Cale stuff on vinyl, like yesterday! How do I still not have Troubador??

Spotify Premium, any album any song any time, Pretty decent quality, Although some do have bookmark artifacts

may have missed it, but the diaphrams in the CD's should be seated with a frequency tone being played through them. After they are removed and the gap is cleaned, the phrams are reseated with the test tone running (and ideally a scope?) looking/listening for distortion as you tighten the mounting screws. the pegs are alignment guides and are tight but this procedure is from Altec manual (or jbl>can't recall), and if one just replaces the phrams without the scope, it's a gamble as to whether they are centered enough to avoid distortion. I dont have the gear to do that and just rescrewed them in and haven't noticed any issues, but the distortion OP mentions seems likely from this potential issue..

A 414 has the same resonant frequency as a Bozak B-199A woofer. If you want extended response you don't want a ported enclosure because the bass drops off to fast just below the tuning frequency. So if you want to reach below 32 HZ you want an enclosure between 10 and 14 cu ft well padded and with a 1 1/2 inch absorbent curtain hanging directly behind the magnet the full length of the Box. It will knock down the efficiency a bit. Other wise a 9 cu ft enclosure tuned for just below 40 HZ. I could take a 4 cu ft enclosure and tune it for a flat response when hung against a wall down to 40 HZ with very little effort. I would use one of Altecs smaller 120 degree or 90 degree fiber glass horns crossed at 1200 HZ instead to get rid of the honking sound of the 811 and 511 horns. I had Altec Carmels that used two 16 ohm 414 woofers in the middle 60's. But the honking drove me crazy. So I tared the 811's and changed to 802D drivers for better extreme highs. But when I heard a pair of Symphonies for the first time the Altec were sold immediately, The line array of tweeters and the great 8 inch midrange with to B-199 woofers got rid of all the honking sound. They just needed a bit more power so I changed from a MA 230 to a C-22 and a MC 240 and then added a second 240 so both amps were operating in mono. 100 watts per channel. Mac 752, 754, 7100, or 7200, will make your Altec sound their best. If you want a real tight bass sound Crown power amps are another great choice. D-150 A, DC-300A or PL-400.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom