Altec 711B receiver

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by Greg Nal, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Greg Nal

Greg Nal AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anyone have a schematic or know where I can find one? Just picked up one of these, appears to be in really nice shape (have not received it yet), love to hear from anyone with experience with this. I purchased a 711a service manual off the e* site I got the receiver.

Also looking for speaker pairing suggestions for a small bedroom-sized room (have vintage KLH (5,6,14, 17). AR (4x, 5, 6), JBL (L100/110/4312/4401), Advent NLA's as well as Klipsch CF3 ver1, Heresy and Forte I's.

Seller made the following comments, which I don't completely understand. Please share your thoughts about it: "Rare center channel output and phase wiring that most Amps will not handle = left and right hot to the left and right speakers then both negatives from left and right to the positive of a third speaker then the negative from the third speaker to the negative on the Amp (l or R). While the left and right speaker are 180° phase (5th row center) The third speaker is zero phase (back of hall) what engineers call the mono intermix. This creates a three dimensional space to the sound. I know because I've wired my Macintosh this way many years ago and it had to be repaired. This Altec is designed for it!"

I'm curious, if three speakers are used, should they be 3 of the same or would there be a different arrangement? Doubt the room is large enough to capitalize on a 3rd speaker but it would be interesting to try nonetheless.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  3. Greg Nal

Greg Nal AK Subscriber Subscriber

Great thread and good info. Thanks Zonk! Hope you've escaped the heat and smoke hovering over town this summer...

4. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

Yes, indeed; we were on the East Coast for the first half of July, but now I'm hunkered down at home. <sigh>