Altec 816A, pair, in MN

They were factory 816 cabs, with 808-8a drivers on 511 horns, and the MI woofers you can see in the pic. Not a bad deal at all

Neat speakers, the rest of that picture makes me dizzy. Good thing I'm not on skates!

Burnsville, maybe Frank Van Alstine bought them :).

The mystery is over. I was the one to pick these up from Skateville in Burnsville, MN. They were part of a hanging array in the middle of the skating floor and have been replaced by QSC powered speakers. The Altec array consisted of 816A cabs, 511B horns and 9844A's. What I came home with were the 816A cabinets with 421-8LF's a pair each of 511B and 811B horns and a pair each of 808-8 and 802-8 HF drivers. for $450. I had the 421's reconed for around $260 at Midwest Speaker with GPA parts.

These things were hanging for the most part of 30 years. The 816A boxes were full of dust on the inside and rest of the dust was sucked into the rear vents of the 421-8LF's. The guy at Midwest Speaker remarked at amount of dust inside them. We had a discussion about reconing them as 416's and covering up the rear vent which is something I would consider trying if I were to find another set of 421's on the cheap.

Plans are to finish up the cabinets, plug drill holes with dowel rods, touch-up the paint and replace the fiberglass with R 6.7 Blue Denim insulation.

There are some You Tube videos of Skateville with the old Altec cluster playing.

Back
Top Bottom