Altec 846a Valencia

Jenkster

Bonzo!
Subscriber
I recently made a trade with a fellow AK'er that landed me a completely restored and beautiful sounding Fisher 500C receiver. I also got a pair of Klipsch Forte I's with Crites crossovers and ti tweeter diaphragms. Very nice combination but I just felt there was something missing. The trade was for a pair of Cornwall II's verticals. Even in my small room, I was missing that bigger more open sound. Happened to come accross a pair of Altec 846a Valencia's within drivnig distance. Long story short, The Valencia's are here, the Forte's are gone. This is not my first Rodeo with Altecs but I was using SS amps and I could never warm up to them. With The Fisher, different story altogether. Open spacious mid-range, accurate and tuneful bass and a big soundstage. The high end is a bit rolled off but that, to me, is a plus. I'm lucky if I can hear a 12K hz tone on a good day. Some of the highs with the Forte's got a bit simbilant and harsh. I noticed the impedence is rated at 8/16 ohms. I am currently running them off the 8 ohm tap. The Valencias are in wonderful condition with just some minor veneer issues. The grills are very nice which is kinda' rare to find. Who else is running big Altecs? Any hints or suggestions to get the most out of them? Here's a couple pics. Thanks

Attachments

• Altec, 1.jpg
    Altec, 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Altec, 3.jpg
    Altec, 3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Nice find in that shape. I was running Valencia's and swapped them out for Forte's which worked better for my space.

Thanks guys, very subjective this audio thing.:yes: It's not that I didn't like the Forte's I just wanted a speaker that was more open overall and less bright on the top end. I think I was so used to the big sound of the Cornwalls that the Forte's just didn't measure up?:scratch2: I just don't think you can wrong with a good tube rig and large format, horn based two ways done right.

Last edited:
I did the same thing like 15 yrs ago. Sold my Fortes and bought a pair of Altec Capistrano's. The big Altecs were stolen out of a storage locker which to this day I still cry about. However, I sorta recovered, somewhat, with a pair of 846Bs and a set of Flamencos. I have several set of Klipsch too but the Altecs are still my favorite speakers. I know of others who have gone the other way. Both are very respectable speakers.

Check to see if the crossovers are original if they are they will need to be recapped... From there they will only get better. Try Solens.. Maybe post a couple pics of the Crossovers if you can. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Very cool! I heavily modded some 846Bs, including foams for the horns (the Darsts made me a custom set), damping for the horn bodies (I used Damplifer), GPA 902 horn drivers, 4168-B woofers, and Z19 crossovers.

At the least, I would recap them and put some damping on the horn bodies; mine really "rang" during certain vocals.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try to get them "cracked open" later today. They sound pretty darn good to me now but I am always open to suggestions. They will never be pushed hard in my room so ringing may not be an issue. For now, I am just enjoying the music.:music: Spinning The Ramsey Lewis Trio currently.

Yeah, I'm not saying you need to mod them, but you asked about possibilities so I thought I'd list them.

I say, enjoy them as they are, and only mod if you really want to!

Last edited:
A recap with Dayton caps really cleaned up the upper ind on my 846U's which are the 846B in a utility cab. Seemed a little brighter at first but it's really just much cleaner and clearer.

I had tried a set of the Z19 crossovers but they didn't do it for me. Extremely clean and clear, but definitely on the lean side for my taste.

Yeah, I'm not saying you need to mod them, but you asked about possibilities so I thought I'd list them.

I say, enjoy them as they are, and only mod if you really want to!

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate any and all input.:yes: I do want to live with them for awhile before I jump into anything.

There really were only two things I wanted to change on mine: Better (lower, deeper) bass, and no horn ringing.

The bass calls for a sub. The horns call for damping on the body. Other than those two things, they're terrific speakers.

There really were only two things I wanted to change on mine: Better (lower, deeper) bass, and no horn ringing.

The bass calls for a sub. The horns call for damping on the body. Other than those two things, they're terrific speakers.

In my room, with my taste of music, the Valencia's go low enough for me. Haven't experienced any horn ringing so far but I haven't pushed them hard. What are you using to drive your speakers?

I was using them on a heavily modded Dynaco ST-70 with a VTA board. And actually, the only time I got ringing was on one Norah Jones track off Come Away with Me: Don't Know Why is the song. She sings the word "waited" with a really powerful emphasis, causing the horn to make a really horrendous resonance at higher volume, just on that one word. Hurt my head. I damped it and the resonance simply vanished. That convinced me that damping was a good idea, but your mileage may vary.

Here is some of the Damplifier I added; I wound up covering the inner body (top, bottom and sides), too.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3089.jpg
    IMG_3089.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
I bought mine at secondskinaudio.com. I think I got the Pro version. But at Lowe's you can buy a roll of roofing sealing material that's almost identical, for much cheaper.

In my room, with my taste of music, the Valencia's go low enough for me. Haven't experienced any horn ringing so far but I haven't pushed them hard. What are you using to drive your speakers?

Yeah, that seemed strange to me too. Maybe Zonker's just a total basshead. :D

I would definitely enjoy a pair of those thoroughly.

I admit it; I love low bass. Even my L250 (Ti guts) don't go low enough for me so I added a sub. :D

DSC_3192DesktopResolution.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, a sub with 250's, must be a B460.

Nice tube rig BTW. I am using mine with a restored Fisher 500C that has the SDS Labs board. I am very much liking this combination.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom