Altec 9440A amp

CapnJDM

There is one of these amps in a local electronics store that has apparently been there for a while. I've never heard or seen one, but the VU meters caught my eye. I found 2 on ebay for $1200 each, and he's only asking $250. Unless I'm mistaken by the model number, these are the same amps.

So I have two questions: What's up with this price spread, and is this local one worth the price? I know it's a PA amp, but that's actually what I would be using it for. Well, that, and some stupidly loud listening on my own time. Anyone familiar with this unit? Thanks in advance for any input.

Wow, there's a lot of info there... I'm going to have to actually read through it later. Thanks for finding that. The owner of the shops son said it worked. I would assume it does, since it's an electronics repair shop, which may or may not mean much.

Definitely a nice amp but I think the guy asking $1200 on ebay is nuts. He mentions "recharging" the caps with a variac but said process is actually called "reforming". FWIW its not needed unless the amp has not been used for a long period (over a year).

People who know this amp (I know @Edroom is one) might be as tickled as me to see one in a video for a contemporary band, Roadcase Royale, featuring Nancy Wilson (the Heart one, not the jazz one). Around 1:50 there's a can't-miss-it view:

Cheers,

chazix

There is one of these amps in a local electronics store that has apparently been there for a while. I've never heard or seen one, but the VU meters caught my eye. I found 2 on ebay for $1200 each, and he's only asking $250. Unless I'm mistaken by the model number, these are the same amps.

So I have two questions: What's up with this price spread, and is this local one worth the price? I know it's a PA amp, but that's actually what I would be using it for. Well, that, and some stupidly loud listening on my own time. Anyone familiar with this unit? Thanks in advance for any input.
Hi-Fi meets PA. I have one that's been gone over with lots of new parts. It's a very clean quiet amp, does everything well. However, they need a tweak on the power switch wiring behind the face plate. S/n ratio is very high so this thing should be dead quiet but it's not. You will hear a very slight hum on the L channel. All you have to do is add some shielding to the switch wiring if you care. Otherwise it's a great amp. I paid $650 for mine in it's present condition. Cosmetically, a few marks but by no means beaten up. Very presentable.

Last edited:
The old centralab selector switches were falling apart on the last one I worked on. I was just listening to one of those today.In a tri-amp configured system.

Nice amp but you need to add a couple hundred dollars in internal preamps to use the xlr inputs

Back
Top Bottom