Altec Horn Single Cell dimensions/patterns

macaltec

Metal Master
Does anyone have the dimensions/pattern of a single cell of an Altec 1505 and/or 1005 horn or know where I can get the information? Thanks

No need to guess what's going on in your head, Mr. MacAltec! Just for the fun and curiosity of it, I've been sitting around building cells from pieces of cardboard and balsa. Seems several of the members here, on Lansing Heritage, and Altec Users Board use these horns. Maybe one of them can furnish some dimensions/patterns for us piddlers, experimenters, and loafers.

GeeDeeEmm

I have the width and height of the opening of the 1505 as well as the throat opening where all the cells come together. The length should be easy enough to obtain. I really need the profile of two adjacent sides. I would really like to measure one for myself. I could walk someone through the measurements if need be. I will be working in metal. Hopefully someone comes along soon.....

I'll be watching. Please post whatever you find. I'm interested in building something from wood. I have enough metal working skills to do it that way, but the look of wood is what really intrigues me.

GeeDeeEmm

I found some more dimensions on hostboard but nothing that lends itself to the profile/shape of the individual cells. Im not looking to get into the math behind the design, I just want to build a set. Never understood why such things seem to be shrouded in mystery. It would literally take a couple minutes to make a template from an original.

I would put together some measurements for you but mine are tar filled. All I could help with would be exit dims and overall length to throat.

I would put together some measurements for you but mine are tar filled. All I could help with would be exit dims and overall length to throat.

All I need is the outer part of the profile and the front and the back edges. I can use the other info to make it work.

All I need is the outer part of the profile and the front and the back edges. I can use the other info to make it work.

Mac, when you figure out the dimensions, can you post them here? As noted, I want to do the same thing, but in wood.

GeeDeeEmm

An inside caliper would help in determining the inside curves of the cells. Measure at several points inside the cell, plot them and connect with a French curve. Calipers are cheap nowadays.

I have the Audio Anthology series 1 through 4 and that horn data is in vol 1.
fortunately , I was able to find it on the web. I like the wood fixture for
holding the sheet metal for soldering....Good luck !! I have made K band horns
for 24 ghz and its a major PITA . You might use low temp silver solder ?
used for plumbing.

I'm not entirely sure I know what you need when you say "outer part of the profile and the front and the back edges". Sketch what you want and indicate dim's needed and post or message. That, or steal a photo off the net and do the same. It will save us both time and you will hopefully get what you are looking for.

604man's post directs you to some good engineering data for building your own exponential horns. Interesting reading.
Thanks

BillWojo

604man's post directs you to some good engineering data for building your own exponential horns. Interesting reading.

Thanks

BillWojo

Thank you Bill and 604Man. I am not the least bit interested in the egineering of the design and why or how it works. I am satisfied that it does. I merely want to build a pair. As to the construction methods I will take suggestions under advisement, working in metal is what I do.

Back
Top Bottom