Altec Lansing Corner Speaker Value

I got the other one in and it had the same components with different dates on the woofers. The N-800-D was green instead of black though.

003.JPG 004.JPG

Thanks johnny_fever. They are very detailed but somewhat bright and I'm guessing that is because I'm using a Sansui 8080db and they're designed for tubes. I'm sure they need recapping and that should make them better.

I wonder if the original set that started this thread was a single bought for a mono system followed by a second to upgrade to stereo, hence the different dates and crossover paint.

Beautiful speakers in any case.

When researching these speakers( Altec Lansing 820-C) The only ones I could find were in Germany, Japan , and New Zealand. All of them were over $10,000 a pair. I found out later that they sell for about $5000 in the US. In original ,excellent condition. . .

When researching these speakers( Altec Lansing 820-C) The only ones I could find were in Germany, Japan , and New Zealand. All of them were over $10,000 a pair. I found out later that they sell for about $5000 in the US. In original ,excellent condition. . .
Those locations would certainly add a significant premium to the value/price.

Big speakers are a heavy liability in terms of shipping. Add to that outside the USA scarcity becomes an increasing factor with Altecs.

Several years back one of our members at the Altec User's Board built a pair of 820C clones loaded with modern components from GPA. Even factoring in a moderate stipend for his labor, the all in cost was only in the neighborhood of 5k although probably closer to the 10k figure today. The finished product was glorious, accurate to the last detail and exceptionally competent in build quality, better than any cabinet that rolled out of a 50's or 60's Altec factory.

I wonder if the original set that started this thread was a single bought for a mono system followed by a second to upgrade to stereo, hence the different dates and crossover paint.

Beautiful speakers in any case.
Yes, that was exactly what happened, I wonder which came first , one has the decal across the top edge the other does not and the cabinet is butted instead of mitered on the edges and the 15" driver is mounted slightly different and the crossover is mounted on the side instead of the top. components are identical.

Back
Top Bottom