Altec Lansing Model 101

ddarch

Hi,

Looking for any info regarding AL Model 101 speakers, manufactured circa 1986?

I have already tried "unofficial" AL homepage.

Dave

I think those are close relative to some Altec 95's I have round here. I believe these were made after Altec was sold to Craico ( spelling )

The 95's I have sound pretty decent but I wouldn't call em special in any way. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Grumpy

From the Audio magazine equipment directory, 1988,
6 1/2 inch woofer, 1 inch dome tweeter 170.00 per pair. I think thought that it was Sparkomatic that was using the Altec name at that time.

I believe these had nothing in common with the real Altec (as detailed on the Lansing Heritage site) aside from the brand name that was then owned by Sparkomatic.

An Altec with 6 1/2" woofer and 1" dome tweeter? Not anything most would consider "Altec".

I knew it was some shitty car stereo company :D

Sparkomatic!!!

That is hilarious!!

My first car speakers were a lousy pair of Sparkomatics!!

What a disappointment that the 101s come from that era.

They are GORGEOUS oiled walnut cabinets with excellent fit and finish. Matching stands, too. Haven't played too much music on them yet, but the sound was impressive for small floorstanders.

The 6.5 inch woofer looks to be made of some unique material. The tweeter looks to be a metal dome...who knows of what.

Maybe instead of refoaming, I will go with new drivers. It would help if I knew what the crossover was, though. There is almost no data on the outside of the speaker. Maybe something inside???

I'll report back.

Dave

Well, to be made by a "car stereo company" those Altec speakers of that era, were BUILT out of some REAL MATERIALs. Those woofers, IIRC, were fiberglass or carbon fiber weave cones, in many of them!

Unless something is wrong with the drivers, I certainly wouldn't go slapping anything else in there...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom