Altec Lansing model 14

Wish I could find some woofers. There's a pair of 14s at the church begging for me to save them. Stupid Peavey woofers jammed in there don't sound very good. : (

Peavey!
In Altec cabs!!
In a church!!!

That's sacrilegious.

Art

Wish I could find some woofers. There's a pair of 14s at the church begging for me to save them. Stupid Peavey woofers jammed in there don't sound very good. : (

Don't wish. Go get them and save them. Getting them will probably take less time than saving them, but it's something that needs to be done. Because brother man, some day you're going to show up and find them gone. Where'd they go? Oh, they got hauled off to the dump last week is what you'll be told. Then, for the rest of your life you will shed a tear every time you picture those lovely speakers tossed in the trash.

xo, Biggles

Even without the woofers you still get the horn with the nice Tangerine Phase Plug.
And Dr. Biggles is the guy who can talk first hand about providence and divine intervention when it comes to speakers.
Woofers may miraculously appear out of the heavens.

Good God man, go get them.

Dr Biggles I read the Valencia thread on the weekend.
Hats off to you man.

I can hear it now.
She says "wouldn't the one on the left look nicer a little closer to the water buffalo."

Art

Last edited:
What do you think is a fair price for a near mint pair ?...and don't hold anything back, I need real opinions...

That question will likely get this thread moved to Dollars and Sense, but I would say maybe $600-850 for a nice pair, I guess.

There's a clean pair in SF right now for $600 I think, on CL.

Last edited:
That question will likely get this thread moved to Dollar and Sense, but I would say maybe $600-850 for a nice pair, I guess.

There's a clean pair in SF right now for $600 I think, on CL.

Yes there are and I've been stalking them for quite some time. I thought about offering a trade for my Altecs and a little something extra, but needed the cash. I would like to find some with some severe water damage, that's what I'd like. For FREE.

xo, Biggles

Here is another question but 2 parts...which would you rather own the Altec model 14 or Jbl l65's ....the second part is would you buy the altecs or fix up the jbl l65's which need the glass tweeters, woofers, crossovers...? I am at a loss on this and have so many speakers that I don't know if I should just stick with what I got, but have been hunting for the altecs for a few years now and can finally get my hands on a pair for a good price...hope someone can help me with this problem.

The Jubals have only the cabinets and midranges left? Dang. That ain't much. Those tweeters sell for at least $450 a pair, as I recall. The woofers maybe $250-300. Crossovers maybe $90? Not really worth getting those, I reckon.

Would anyone call the model 14's high end or just good?

I'd say that the 14's are higher end. Definitely not TOTL, but not middle range speakers by any means. If you want high end TOTL you'll need to find a pair of Altec 19's IMO. Pairing the 14's with the 1250 Pioneer will be a good match, just don't run them too hard.

I wish I had the money for 19's but so far I have herd the 14's are the better pair...will wait for a few more responses till I make a decision.

Here is another question but 2 parts...which would you rather own the Altec model 14 or Jbl l65's ....the second part is would you buy the altecs or fix up the jbl l65's which need the glass tweeters, woofers, crossovers...?

If both were complete and nice, I'd take the JBL's. As they sit, I'd take the Altec 14's. The cost to bring back the L65's is going to be expensive!

I have herd the 14's are the better pair.

Funny; I distinctly recall an eBay auction claiming the Model 14 was in many respects a better speaker. Having heard neither, I cannot say, but to some those may be fighting words. :D However, I do believe the design of the 14's Mantaray horn is more sophisticated than the 19's.

are you all kidding, the 19 is far superior and worth more as well. Having owned the 14's, 15's and run the 416 in my daily system. There is no way the 12+ inch woof can hang with the 15+ inch.

As far as value is concerned on the 14's. I hung a pretty nice pair on bt a bit over a year ago. Pretty nice cabs, so-so grills and very fresh reconed woofers from GPA. I set them out there for weeks at 650, ended up selling to ak'er for 550. Being a foam surround woofer you can count on getting them reconed by now of not already done. To me the only way is to send to the pros (GPA). that will cost probably better than 3 bills once you figure shipping to and fro, not to mention shipping materials. I would have done better parting them out which is exactely what I did with the 15's...

Funny thing... threes months after I offed the 14's, I ended up with a beat pair of 19's for cheap. Unfortunately although I have heard 19's in the past, for this post I have not played with them yet in my own system so I cannot give a good and direct comparison at this time.

Funny; I distinctly recall an eBay auction claiming the Model 14 was in many respects a better speaker. Having heard neither, I cannot say, but to some those may be fighting words. :D However, I do believe the design of the 14's Mantaray horn is more sophisticated than the 19's.

I've read the same bits and pieces regarding the 14 vs. the 19. It would be nice to hear from someone who's heard both. I'm still keeping my eyes open for a trashed pair of 14's, oh yes.

Biggles

These "better than" or "not as good as" discussions are largely meaningless without context.
In a very large room the Model 19's are great speakers.
In a small room they would be horrible.
My Model 14's in my smallish living room are pretty great.
In the very small space I use as a home office they drove me screaming out out of the room.
Within minutes.

For most people with average sized rooms the Model 14's will deliver very nearly the same extension, dynamics and detail as the Model 19's will in a larger room.

At a fraction of the cost.

With a smaller footprint.

The Mantaray horn is pretty sweet.
And the Tangerine phase plug really works well in smoothing out the shrillness usually associated with horns.
Especially if you use SS amplification.

As my Irish wife says:

Horses for courses.

Art

Funny you say that when I was over in Japan I bought the jbl l65's and have a pair in my garage that need to be restored but they were hooked up to my Sansui qrx 9001 with Bose 601's series 1 and I had my neighbors always knocking on my door to turn the music down. Plus I had a pioneer pl 560 turntable and a Sony tc- k 9 cassette deck that at the time was the first item with a remote. In the last few years I have been buying all the same gear I used to own back in the day. I own the turntable , 601's , jbl l65's , I have the pioneer sx 1250 instead of the sansui plus I have a pioneer rt 909 now and a Marantz 5220 with wood case cassette player and 2 pioneer cassette players. A ctf 900 and a ctf 9191 and a pair of infinity kappa 7's , hpm 100 the 200 watt version...just can't get enough of the old stuff

All I can say is you better start herding them before they get away on you. I wouldn't mind steering them into my corral.:yes:

14's for me.

Biggles

Keep in mind that the 14's can still sound somewhat aggressive with some recordings if you are using SS amplification.
See my post earlier in this thread about a t-amp recommendation.

Although smaller than the 19's the 14's are by no means a small speaker.
They are like having a couple of mini-fridges in your living room.

Art

Back
Top Bottom