Altec Lansing Model 14

h00kem

Found a pair of Altec Lansing Model 14 in perfect shape with original boxes. One-owner pair bought in 1979/80. Woofers have been refoamed and look right. They sound good. Seller wants $1000 firm. I like horn loaded speakers (e.g. Klipshorn). Prior reviews on these look mixed. Any current opinions on the speakers and/or price? Are these a difficult model to find? Thanks!

It's been many years since I've heard Model 14s, but their reputation and popularity have only increased since they were still in production. I think that price for a set of primo 14s is about the going rate. And they are only going up. I bet you'll like them - a lot.

geeDeeEmm

Thanks guys. You aren't helping my stereo addiction. I need another pair of speakers like a hole in the head. But I haven't owned any Altecs before and it's not often one comes across single owner primo speakers w/ original boxes of such an unusual model. Guess I'm going to have to buy them...

By the way, h00kem -- welcome to AK!!!!

The whole speaker is just a very well designed product. Enjoy.

Check out this article:

https://www.audiophilenirvana.com/audiophile-equipment-reviews/altec-lansing-model-14/

There are a number of other good articles, as well.

GeeDeeEmm

From the interweb: Altec Model 14 Goodness:

653643-altec_lansing_model_14_crossover_network_new_new.jpg

Altec-Model-14-c-300x253.jpg

I own a pair, and like them a lot. They sound a lot beefier than my JBL 250TIs but, despite the quoted 300 wpc handling, unlike the JBLs, they cannot be played at crazy volumes without starting to grate on my ears.

At low to decently loud levels, they are excellent speakers.The price sounds a little high to me, but, if truly in "perfect shape" with original boxes, I would consider them.

Room dependent, some people claim to prefer them to the bigger, and much more expensive, Model 19s (which I have yet to hear).

Aren't those horns and drivers worth a pretty penny? I run 802-d's through 811's and find them adequate but I've read that some find the Mantaray horn an improvement.

Went to see and listen to them today. Sounded great. Cabinets are near perfect as stated. Woofers have been refoamed and in great shape. Original boxes and paperwork complete. Only thing that wasn't as new were to speaker covers. One have a small corner rub. Seller said the reason he said the speakers were "as new" was because long ago he purchase a new set of covers still in the Altec Lansing box and they came with the speakers. This is the first time I would agree with a seller that in fact the speakers were in "as new" condition. I purchased them on the spot! Wow!

It sounds as if you made out quite well. Loved my 14s for a decade before the ex took ‘em in the divorce...

That is an awesome purchase! I don't think that very many in that condition including all items as originally purchased exist. I would have handed over the cash in a second. I hope that you enjoy them!

I just demoed my new pair to my musician brother and he said wow those are nice speakers. Mine are in so so cosmetic shape and there is something wrong with one woofer. I paid $200 and $90 for a replacement woofer from an advent 15. Mine came with covers too but they just look so cool with the covers off. I can see these as my end game speakers.Altecs.JPG

If you're running mismatched woofers (especially with one that's not designed to be used with this cabinet) then you're not getting everything these speakers are capable of. If you still have the original woofer, I have no doubt that it can be repaired.

For a pair of Model 14s in the condition described was a steal at $1K, let alone with the original packaging included. Far lesser examples regularly change hands in the $500 - $800 range.

Congratulations...and now this...

:needpics:

One thing I would add about the Model 14 is that midrange is a bit hot relative to the other frequency extremes- especially the lower end and I found a good loudness comp circuit to be a big help. The compensation curve McIntosh used on the MX110 and MAC1500 seems to work especially well where the rolloffs occur in the Model 14. YMMV.

Never had the 14s but if they are anything like the 17s you'll love them. I sold my 17s years ago and they are the only speakers I really miss. A pair of Stanley Screamers would be nice though.

A good friend had a pair of Model 14's and after listening to them I went on a search for my own Altecs. Wound up buying a set of HeathKit AS101's, basically Altec Valencias in much nicer cabinets.
That's when my Klipsch went on the market.
You did good.

BillWojo

For a pair of Model 14s in the condition described was a steal at $1K, let alone with the original packaging included. Far lesser examples regularly change hands in the $500 - $800 range.

Congratulations...and now this...

:needpics:

I'll post pictures when I can. Amy traveling lots so I haven't had time to do anything but get them home...haven't even fired them up yet!!!

Back
Top Bottom