Altec MLTL with Model 19 drivers

Stands look great Lance. A shame you have to bolt those ugly horns over the front of that beautiful wood.

Can't wait to see the whole thing together.

Gary, he could always powder coat them Candy Apple Red. There are two benefits. 1. they would look much cooler. 2. the powder coating will act as a dampener. I do I know this? We just got back a set of forward controls for a custom HD Ron is building and he had a set that were not powder coated and I hit them both with a hammer and by god the powder coat does dampen the metal.

Candy apple red, next time maybe.

Sleds are together and drivers mounted. I might break out some gear and at least listen to the high end, tonight. Stupid, slow Tung oil, grrrr (I need to put one more coat on the cabinets). I put felt between the horn and the wood mounting frame. It should offer some damping of the horn. In fact, when I smack anywhere on the 811, I just get a thunk.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 105
I don't see hinges in the pix. I had my Heils on hinges with a turn buckle and I could adjust it to point right at me. My hinges did not rattle as they were under load.

Looking Sweet, Westend! No rattles from the hinge? Sure would love to hear those monsters!
Hinge rattle,no hinge rattle but the machinery is rattling, lol.

I don't see hinges in the pix. I had my Heils on hinges with a turn buckle and I could adjust it to point right at me. My hinges did not rattle as they were under load.
This is about the same thing, Dennis, but instead of a turnbuckle I have a wooden adjuster under the horn. Left or right is handled by moving the sled.

I'm thinking this is the best shop system in Shorewwod, lol. The triamp thing is working out great. I have a JBL/Urei on the woofers, a Kenwood KA-8150 on the Heils and a Pass F5 on the horns. The F5 is something else on these horns. The Heil does bring a sparkle to the mix and is helping on the sound stage. The cabinets are unreal, much improved over the Model 19 sound. Chest pounding stuff and there is no limit to the bottom, it seems. I'll have to break out some test tones and see how low they can go. I'm liking it!:banana:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 102
Looking good Lance. I really think the Heil is the best tweeter out there. I tried running them down to 2500hz but it was just too thin for my taste. Remind me: what are your crossover points?

Looking good Lance. I really think the Heil is the best tweeter out there. I tried running them down to 2500hz but it was just too thin for my taste. Remind me: what are your crossover points?

Still playing around with things DJ but the horn is doing nicely from a couple clicks under 1200 hz, I'm guessing about 1050-1100 hz. I have been fooling with the Heil, going up and down, presently at 9300 hz. I've got to get that other F5 done for the woofers and I'm thinking a chip amp would probably serve the Heils well. What do you think?

I've run my Heils with the Sonic Impact D amp, 300B tube amp and Eico EL34 tube amp and all of them sounded very nice but liked the Eico the best. I think it had to do with having the most power & the tube sound. But I could listen to them all day with the Sonic Impact: amazingly enough. I crossed mine at 7KHZ for the best sound in my system.

Still playing around with things DJ but the horn is doing nicely from a couple clicks under 1200 hz, I'm guessing about 1050-1100 hz. I have been fooling with the Heil, going up and down, presently at 9300 hz. I've got to get that other F5 done for the woofers and I'm thinking a chip amp would probably serve the Heils well. What do you think?

Why not build a third F5? :D

Or, a Mini Aleph? Brian's boards are only 8 bucks each for the amp or PS boards.

third F-5 isnt a bad idea either....

Russellc

I put felt between the horn and the wood mounting frame. It should offer some damping of the horn.

On the Altec Sectoral's 511 or 811's the bell part is the most important area to damp on them.Top & Bottom on the outer front edge of the horn.That is where it will ring the most,therefore needs to be damped. :thmbsp:

Jay this build reminded me a lot of the big ass cabinets jaymanaa built in his kitchen.

Looking damn sweet! I can't wait to here them!

I've run my Heils with the Sonic Impact D amp, 300B tube amp and Eico EL34 tube amp and all of them sounded very nice but liked the Eico the best. I think it had to do with having the most power & the tube sound. But I could listen to them all day with the Sonic Impact: amazingly enough. I crossed mine at 7KHZ for the best sound in my system.
I've lowered the the Heils down to 7000hz, DJ. Still experimenting.

Why not build a third F5? :D

Or, a Mini Aleph? Brian's boards are only 8 bucks each for the amp or PS boards.

third F-5 isnt a bad idea either....

Russellc

One BIG one, 6 channels - tall with vertical fins.
You guys are such enablers.:D

On the Altec Sectoral's 511 or 811's the bell part is the most important area to damp on them.Top & Bottom on the outer front edge of the horn.That is where it will ring the most,therefore needs to be damped. :thmbsp:
I've never had or heard the infamous ringing but I've always had the horn fastened to a mounting frame.

Jay this build reminded me a lot of the big ass cabinets jaymanaa built in his kitchen.

Looking damn sweet! I can't wait to here them!
Get on up here!
If you wait a week or two, I'll have two F5's on them.:yes:

I've never had or heard the infamous ringing but I've always had the horn fastened to a mounting frame.

They do ring ! I noticed a difference when I replaced the foams on my 19's.The foams touch the outside edge (Front Bell) part of the horn and keep them from resonating.I'll post a picture if you look close you can see the foams touch in 2 places top & bottom.When you have them up and running just touch them with your finger you should have a (Eureka Moment) :yes:

That's why I love my 511E's with the Aquaplas ! Rap on those is like rapping a 6x6 post. :D

HPIM1836.jpg

HPIM2835.jpg

HPIM2836.jpg

HPIM2837.jpg

Last edited:
Well, AB, you peeked my curiousity about horn resonance and if I crank the 811's to ear plugging level, I can detect a very low level of vibration with light touch that follows transients in music. Is this what is refered to as "ringing"? When I strike the bell of the horn, I hear"thick", the sectoral fins-"thick", the flange and all the rest-"thok". I never associated vibration with "ringing". I thought "ringing" would be the horn holding a resonance of previous notes heard, i.e. an elongation of a tone as in striking a bell. Or, an incidental tone from the horn caused by sound in the horn that is not the same frequeny or amplitude.

Back
Top Bottom