Altec Model 18s

on my model 18's the horn on the driver can be removed for shipping.... has two hex screws on inside each horn.... and yes, they really heavy for a driver... think mine are 604-8k...

on my model 18's the horn on the driver can be removed for shipping.... has two hex screws on inside each horn.... and yes, they really heavy for a driver... think mine are 604-8k...

Oh yeah, that's true I could do that. I think I'm still going to opt for having them done locally. I haven't spoken with the local guy yet but will be tomorrow.

If yours are the 604-8K, you wouldn't happen to know the capacitor values on the crossovers would you? Mine are glued together so it's tough to get at them and see them. I might just have to do some macgyvering to get the values though.

It's nice to see you moving forward on this .

Are you also ordering a pair of new HF diaphragms? Or did you determine that your 8K's have the correct model diaphragm? ( 34647 )

Typically diaphragms need to be removed to see the model number.

genuine-altec-diaphragm-34647-802-8e_1_7b743450237b0845adb91c2799f499ce.jpg

A 35480 diaphragm would also be fine ( if that's what you currently have ).

Altec_35480_#2_387687925_o.jpg
When talking with your reconer, make sure he has access to a good surround sealer ( or maybe just buy adhesives & sealers from GPA ).

:)

Last edited:

Are you also ordering a pair of new HF diaphragms? Or did you determine that your 8K's have the correct model diaphragm? ( 34647 )

Altec_35480_34647_04.jpg

When talking with your reconer, make sure he has access to a good surround sealer ( or maybe just buy adhesives & sealers from GPA ).

Mine have the correct diaphragms but I am ordering new ones anyway. One of them came unglued from the black plastic ring where the terminals are hooked up to and though I could have it repaired, I might as well get a fresh set so the entire driver is essentially new. bowtie also recommended it because of their history (being used for PA duties).

As for doing the recone I'm sure he does have a proper sealant, but I'll mention it. Unfortunately GPA does not ship the glue over the border.

Oh yeah, that's true I could do that. I think I'm still going to opt for having them done locally. I haven't spoken with the local guy yet but will be tomorrow.

If yours are the 604-8K, you wouldn't happen to know the capacitor values on the crossovers would you? Mine are glued together so it's tough to get at them and see them. I might just have to do some macgyvering to get the values though.

Ill pull a crossover tomorrow and see if i can tell, maybe take pictures... i have never worked on the altec's.. never felt they really needed to be worked on... that being said, i have done a pair of cornwalls and jbl4311's crossover cap replacement so i know what to look for... i might at some time do my diaphragms and crossovers on my altec's though, as i know it greatly improves the sound of speaker... as it did with the cornwalls, did everything to them.... trying to tame them... ..

earl are you saying the 34647 is the correct diaphragm for a 604-8k ?

Altec_35480_34647_04.jpg

Mine have the correct diaphragms but I am ordering new ones anyway. One of them came unglued from the black plastic ring where the terminals are hooked up to and though I could have it repaired, I might as well get a fresh set so the entire driver is essentially new. bowtie also recommended it because of their history (being used for PA duties).

As for doing the recone I'm sure he does have a proper sealant, but I'll mention it. Unfortunately GPA does not ship the glue over the border.

I'm curious as to what dust cover ( bib ) will show up with your recone kits ( do you know ? ) .

A stock 604-8K uses a spider dust-cap ( as you know ) while the earlier models used a felt flap .

1016467-altec-904-vintage-speakers-like-altec-604-coaxial-duplex.jpgAltec_604-8G_H_Fronts.jpg

Here's a bona-fide GPA recone kit sold for the 604G & 604K ( available from a Florida reconing outfit ). Note the included felt flap .

SpeakerX_604-GPA_recone kit.jpg

If only felt flaps ship with your kits, you might be able to reuse your existing spider types ( if you carefully dismantle your existing cone kits ).

A powerful solvent like MEK ( only use in a well ventilated space ) should get the parts separated .

Last edited:
A powerful solvent like MEK ( only use in a well ventilated space ) should get the parts separated .
Indeed it will, right on down thru the paint to the aluminum if one isn't careful.

Most PVC pipe cleaner/solvent is a slightly diluted form of MEK. Good ventilation really can't be over-emphasized.

If only a felt flap shows up in your kits you might be able to reuse your existing spider types if you carefully dismantle your existing kits.
It wouldn't surprise me at this point if only the damper style dust guards get shipped out since even "Altec experts" have installed the felts incorrectly. This was exactly my first and only non-GPA, Altec rebuild experience. The out of pocket loss has kept the experience alive and well.

Indeed it will, right on down thru the paint to the aluminum if one isn't careful.

Most PVC pipe cleaner/solvent is a slightly diluted form of MEK. Good ventilation really can't be over-emphasized.

It wouldn't surprise me at this point if only the damper style dust guards get shipped out since even "Altec experts" have installed the felts incorrectly. This was exactly my first and only non-GPA, Altec rebuild experience. The out of pocket loss has kept the experience alive and well.

I personally wouldn't relish having to install ( & make it look good ) those felt dust covers ( one of my pics above shows a fairly mediocre glue-up ) .

I suspect the spider type dust cover would be just as finicky to properly install around the squared-off corners of the older sectoral horns ( if not pre-cut ) .

I personally wouldn't relish having to install ( & make it look good ) those felt dust covers ( one of my pics above shows a fairly mediocre glue-up ) .

I suspect the spider type dust cover would be just as finicky to properly install around the squared-off corners of the older sectoral horns ( if not pre-cut ) .

My ten thumbs and i totally agree. But, it'd be a lot more difficult for us, or anyone to "short stroke" the moving assembly using the spider type guard.

It's easily done with the felt. It also has a sweet sonic effect as the felt will generally reach it's limit in one area rather than uniformly around the circumference. When this happens, it jerks the voice coil assembly in that direction crashing it into the sides of the gap. If you're running a fast amplifier with appreciable headroom, a good transient that reaches the limit of the felt will produce a very loud, sharp "clack". It's a rather bubble bursting, and horrific thing to hear come from a 604, and does nothing to enhance the Altec experience.

Are the spider type dust covers still available anywhere? I'm curious about this as well

I havent heard the dreaded "clack" from my 604's, but at least I will know what its all about now.

Bowtie, I have heard you mention how you got some 904's reconed that were a little tight in the felt. Are these the drivers you are talking about or something else?

Edit: never mind about the spider. The "Speaker Exchange" sells the spider dustcover. They show a pic of there kits with one with the caption.

"This kit works in the Urei 813 and Altec 604K with the blue horn. The difference is that the 604G uses felt between the horn and cone and the 604K uses a spider."

Since my 604G use the Urei horn, I bet I could switch to the spider dust cover when I get them reconed eventually

Last edited:
Are the spider type dust covers still available anywhere? I'm curious about this as well

I havent heard the dreaded "clack" from my 604's, but at least I will know what its all about now.

Bowtie, I have heard you mention how you got some 904's reconed that were a little tight in the felt. Are these the drivers you are talking about or something else?

Edit: never mind about the spider. The "Speaker Exchange" sells the spider dustcover. They show a pic of there kits with one with the caption.

"This kit works in the Urei 813 and Altec 604K with the blue horn. The difference is that the 604G uses felt between the horn and cone and the 604K uses a spider."

Since my 604G use the Urei horn, I bet I could switch to the spider dust cover when I get them reconed eventually

I find that the quoted text from SpeakerX is just ambiguous enough that I would still ask ( before assuming they'll provide the spider-type dust-cap ) .

I would much prefer an explicit statement of parts provided.

A lot of businesses ( if not most ) operate on the principal that you get what's in the picture .

I find that the quoted text from SpeakerX is just ambiguous enough that I would still ask ( before assuming they'll provide the spider-type dust-cap ) .

I would much prefer an explicit statement of parts provided.

A lot of businesses ( if not most ) operate on the principal that you get what's in the picture .

Since I would get mine reconed at GPA anyways, I am curious if Bill stocks the spider dustcaps.
I was just curious if they were still available anywhere. I know a good reconer could probably make them from large regular spiders.

And yes you are totally right about the picture thing. Its just like on ebay.:thumbsup:

mine are glued together also, cant really tell any values on the black caps... 100_0410[1].JPG

Bruce, if you happen to have 35480 diaphragms in your 8K's, I would just leave them be .

I don't know what number diaphragms i have...i was a wondering so if i decided to put in new ones i would get the right ones... i had looked at the gpa diaphragms on ebay, but it shows one for low volume listening, and one for higher volume listening.... will you tell me the difference? that is something i been a wondering about... lol

Back
Top Bottom